Animated Passengers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Animated Passengers?

Post by lonelyinardwick on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi all, just a bit of time to speak about  a comment I received on YouTube, asked why I couldn't pick up passengers. The video featured @mrknowitall's Class 350/2 running on an Nwm2011 express diagram. I ought to be able to approach towards the correct stop mark as best as I can, even though the 350/2 was written as a 12 car at the time of release. Anyways, I could have replied, "there aren't any passengers to pick up in Nwm2011, I'm afraid." which gave me an idea how to work around being able to animate passengers.

Idea 

Now.. I don't like the way openBVE simulates the load of passengers and uses it to rock the train sideways, but could we use it to add the number of passengers objects on the train? Because I've played Bus Driver and seen a lot of RailWorks videos, and whilst they can't animate passengers actually getting on the train, we could animate the passengers by manipulating the passenger load algorithm (however openbve likes to simulate that), or even the load counter in the fictional Bentschen U-Bahn, and use it to "make passengers" given the space to stand / roam about from FormL and FormR. Okay.. I sound rather naïve much, and I fear the passengers might end up roaming right off the platforms. But if we modified the passenger loading mechanism and formL/formR provided they were written correctly. would that not be impossible?

Ps. I read somewhere that the guy who made the Bentschen U-Bahn was also involved in making the popular OMSI bus simulator..

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: Animated Passengers?

Post by Northern Line on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 am

I believe Anthony Bowden did a bit of work on simulating a passenger walking down the platform at redditch, which I'm quite amazed at still looking back at the video on his channel.
Northern Line

http://www.bve-district.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Personally, I think it could be. I played a sim called World of Subways Vol. 3 London Underground. Passengers would be animated all the way from the platform to when they sat down in the train. I don't think that actually animating the passengers like that in openBVE would be possible. If you're thinking that there would be still photos of passengers in the train and the number would vary depending on how loaded it is, I think that could be possible. That could also be used on the platforms of stations as well.

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by Northern Line on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:43 pm

You never know sam, perhaps it could be possible but however openbve may be quite limited with that option. I haven't tried so don't take my opinion as final.
Northern Line

http://www.bve-district.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Now, speaking on the most basic of levels, animating moving passengers isn't *that* difficult, and for that matter it's possible to make them after a fashion get onto the train Smile
There are several primary issues in doing something like this with the present state of the sim:
1. No way to load a routefile specific variable- You'd need to create a specific animated file for each particular loading. Easy enough.
2. As there's no way to specify door positions in OpenBVE, you need 100% accurate stops, otherwise you'll get passengers embarking into the side of carriages.
3. Any way of doing this relies heavily on testing the timing of your animations and using a forced red signal to make them vanish before they re-appear as there's no way to do a single cycle.

A basic methodology rundown:
* Create one body object, and X number of legs objects (You'd probably get away with 4 if you didn't mind odd looking walking)
* Set up a forced red signal until departure from the station.
* Create a statefunction, so that the leg objects cycle when the train's speed is at zero, and that the object vanishes when a green signal is displayed. (Otherwise you'll get more passengers popping up out of thin air_
* Create a R=>L translate function, which operates when the train's speed is at zero, as above.

It'd also be possible, if a little more difficult to add a forward translate function to move passengers to the door, but it'd require double the timing and testing to get this working.

TBQH, the problem is far more one of building a person and articulating the legs so that they look decent Smile

Cheers

Chris Lees

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyinardwick on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:28 pm

buckysam wrote:If you're thinking that there would be still photos of passengers in the train and the number would vary depending on how loaded it is, I think that could be possible. That could also be used on the platforms of stations as well.
That was exactly what I was thinking. I don't think it would be easy at all to simulate animated passengers trying to get on to the train by the doors, that rather being the design flaw of the current versions of openBVE in my opinion. Just still standing passengers will be more suitable, perhaps use a beacon to animate passengers getting out of their seats as the train approaches the station.

We should get odakyufan to build on that in the next version and animate still standing passengers.
Smile

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum