Departure.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Departure.

Post by lonelyinardwick on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:26 am

Sorry I was barely touching the BVE developing scene, so much has happened in 2013. I've very much forgotten to check back to see how's everyone doing.. Now that I'm living in Crewe for only a year, trainspotting at the local station couldn't be more exciting, well.. at least it was my first time seeing 125mph Pendolino passes. Anyways, I recently have been travelling up and down the country to various university open days, and got to see new mainline electric trains, because my time in Manchester there were only Pendolinos and 323s. I know Freightliner often does AC locos passing through Manchester Piccadilly, but only so far that I've witnessed a handful of diesel locomotives; and to be honest, I think I've had enough DMUs in and out of Manchester Piccadilly where OHLEs seem scarcely used nowadays.

Right now, I'm studying Access to Combined Studies at South Cheshire College doing Law, Media Studies, English Literature and Business Management. So far, I've enjoyed meeting new people and learning new things, until assignments kick in; and then thinking what the hell am I doing writing announcements on online forums only to break those promises months down the line, and helping out confused end-users to get through an underdeveloped train driving simulator that is openBVE only to end up myself with a few hours left on those assignments I've left behind. Speaking of openBVE, even though some BVE communities like Hungary, Hong Kong and Latin America, New York and definitely Japan are more active than us and produce stuff faster than we all do, in my opinion, it's not perfect at making every single lineside animation from signalling systems to ATO, and most certainly it isn't perfect at simulating every rolling stock from every country, simply by rendering them with some Japanese train suspensions - by that I mean.. does it have to rock side to side because of the weight of passengers getting onboard?? Simulator, please. Tof's Aln501 isn't supposed to rock side to side at all.

Development for BVE since 2009/10 has left me in a painful cycle towards academic suicide, not to mention it had distorted my sleeping patterns and brought eating disorders too. I mean.. it isn't the only factor that has contributed to this. But I want to study Transport and Logistics Management at Liverpool John Moores University, which requires me to complete my current course with at least 45 credits the majority of which at distinction. If I put my hobbies before studies, then the past two years in which I've tried to get where I want to go would have all been pointless. It's very tempting to short-term fix those mistakes, update my description on Facebook just for the sake of updating my descriptions for example, or write another blog entry apologising to myself for lack of blog entries, and talking to online friends because I can't talk to my friends online. But it's not going to get where I want to be, literally, it won't get my bum out of this chair and actually produce something vital.

Going around the country has given me many an opportunity to take photos of trains inside and outside for you guys to use for the train simulator (and I've started uploading them to Flickr), yet I honestly hate doing it partly because the fellow passengers often become suspicious of my activities, no wonder I was questioned by police officers on a couple occasions under section 44, but mostly I'm getting the impression that I am practically contributing towards much ado of life outside into a 19" screen, and then bashing my 5 year old keyboard as way of operating a train. Talk about becoming a train driver..

I was going to make a big announcement about the fact I'm currently uploading free raw materials in the hope someone would produce an entire new route/train, but sod it. It's half term right now in Cheshire, I'd be wasting my time when I should be spending that time going back to those assignments and finish those uncompleted worksheets, and that's just a few things I've got to be doing. I'm sorry I haven't been keeping my end-users happy as much as I could (and don't bother asking me to release my unfinished work, producing does not mean publishing; and even so, it would just spoil the tradition of developing), but I need to move on. Don't get me wrong! I wouldn't blindly walk away from curators, producers and users alike who have all been so helpful to me in building towards such an amazing open-source freeware train driving simulator to enjoy, and I'll still be here to babble with you all. I still love playing in both openBVE and BVE Trainsim but only whenever I have the chance, and I'll definitely return to developing at some point. Now just isn't the time for it. I've got to do my UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) application, though I'm not sure whether to choose a preliminary year to do an apprenticeship with Virgin Trains Talent Academy just down the road, before going to LJMU afterwards. But "we'll meet again" chaps, bye for now!

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: Departure.

Post by phileakins on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:42 am

Hi Jeffrey

Oh, how well I know that feeling having just completed two years as an York University external student whilst my Editor software was (and is!) still pending. Studies must come first though.

Best of luck.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Studies first, definitely. Good luck to you!
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Yes, the best of luck to you. Very Happy Just don't forget to hit those books! study And are you still planing on uploading those materials?

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyinardwick on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:05 am

To buckysam, I'm still going to upload those materials but only when I can afford to.
though http://www.flickr.com/wongie2009 has most of my raw photos for use.

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

wongie

Post by denistheengine2 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:07 am

Re: Departure

Good luck with your studies and hurry back.

Another Manc

denistheengine2

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:18 am

Wish you well with the studies and exams Jeffrey. Best of luck be with you.
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum