What do I need?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do I need?

Post by buckysam on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Hey everyone.

I have recently been thinking on starting to develop my own routes. But there are some things I need to know. Like I need to know what are the things and information I need to have to start developing. I also want to know where I can find those things at. If you are wondering what I'm planing on creating, well here are my ideas:

1. the PATH line, seeing as someone already made a train for it, but I can't find a decent enough route for it or I haven't found one at all
2. the Cajon Pass route, that would be cool
3. there is a freight line that goes by my house, but I don't know the name of it
4. just more freight train routes in the U.S.
5. don't know of anything else right now

I am also considering making a few trains of my own and I also know what I need to make one and where can I find the stuff at. I know that I'll need like the technical specs of it, such as top speed, acceleration and deceleration rates, weight of it, and so on and so forth. Is there also a place where I can find this info at, that would be great. Thanks.

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Re: What do I need?

Post by LabRatAndy on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:56 pm

For routes you'd need some level of information about it generally like where stations, signals, curves, etc are, also things like gradients and the radius of the curves would be useful. These could be measured from google earth, but this will take some time.
Also photographs to use as textures for objects and perhaps approximate dimensions of buildings, bridges, etc, etc to make them as objects. However objects could of course be borrowed from other developers with permission.

For trains it would be much the same photos of the cab with the various contols in the various positions, sounds of engine/motor, horn, any safety alarms, etc.

Not forgetting plenty of spare time, patience, and some skill with photoshop or similar software.

LabRatAndy

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Ok. But is there a good place where I can find all of the technical specs of the train? How am I going to make a train when I don't even know how fast it can go and how quickly it can speed up. Can anyone give me some links or if anyone knows stuff can they please tell me?

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by LabRatAndy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Try Google, Wikipedia or similar should give you some basic data about the train you wish to build, things like weight, top speed, dimensions and other information generally in the public domain. More detailed specs you're unlikely to find on-line or anywhere else as they're likely considered commercially sensitive to the manufacture and thus a closely guarded secret.

LabRatAndy

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:25 pm

LabRatAndy wrote:Try Google, Wikipedia or similar should give you some basic data about the train you wish to build, things like weight, top speed, dimensions and other information generally in the public domain. More detailed specs you're unlikely to find on-line or anywhere else as they're likely considered commercially sensitive to the manufacture and thus a closely guarded secret.

But how in the world did other people who've made trains find out the acceleration and deceleration rates?

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by LabRatAndy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Depends some are preservationists, so have access to the train, others have insider knowledge ie. they work or know someone who works on the railways.

Other people may just make an educated guess, for example trains that work on "metro" lines often have lower top speed, but are geared to reach this quickly, versus "intercity" lines that have higher top speeds but take a long time to reach it. They then just keep tweaking it until it feels right and plausible that the train could behave like that.

LabRatAndy

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Detailed information about vehicles is often obtaineable via literature about them. That's especially true for older vehicles. For newer ones, much data can be found from the manufacturer. It isn't exactly treated as sensitive, they want to sell it, it's in their interest to have the client read as much about it as possible. Much can be calculated as well; especially with modern electrical vehicles that's really as easy as basic Newton physics. You usually know power and initial (=maximum) traction force and thus you can calculate the curves.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by James on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:01 pm

Some useful guidance on the real life performance of UK trains can be found by studying the logs of journeys at the Railway Performance Society website:

http://www.railperf.org.uk/

I'd imagine a google search will throw up similar sites for other countries.

James

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum