Aldwych and Beyond...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Aldwych and Beyond...

Post by alex_farlie on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:36 am

As I can't find the Beck Line Backup I decided to take another look at some of the underlying assumptions..
Therefore I'm reconsidering the Beck Line's route.

If a modern (post Kings line) route was built with the Euston->Holborn-> Waterloo axis as it's central section, where would likely end points be?

My initial plans had Waterloo-> Kennington-> Camberwell -> Brixton , or Camberwell-> Herne Hill -> Streatham-> Croydon southbound,
but the Beck line in the lost backup has a sharp bend at Mitcham that I don't think would have in real life been built that way.

Northbound I had Euston -> Camden , but North of Camden presents a number of options...
i) Take over a Northern Line Branch .
ii) Finsbury Park -> Northern Heights -> Scratchwood

Both a Northbound and southbound extension would require signficant depot sites, which would given the availablity of sites in
South London, favour a Croydon route (with a Depot in the Beddington Lane area)

A Northern end depot site is more complex, If a Northern line branch was taken over, then the route would need a depot on this,
As no suitable expansion site exists on the Edgware branch, it would likely be the Barnet branch that got absorbed with a new depot
at the Barnet end.

However, a Finsbury Park extension , would make a depot site in the Hornsey Vale area a requirement, given availability of land that was at one time in railway use (albiet mainline not tube). There is also to be noted existing Railway yards/depot alnogside the East Coast mainline in this area.

A full blown extension over the Northern Height routes, would imply a 'greenfield' depot site just outside the London boundary, this might prove controversial, even though the route would open up the possibility of a multi modal hub at Scratchwood/London Gateway.

I'd like the opinions of people here, especially if you've plotted possible alignments in mapping/GIS software...

Another request for information to aid route choice, would be the approximate depth of other tube lines/other infrastructure at key locations. (for my purposes, I am treating other tube lines as a 5m square region that can't be intruded on)

alex_farlie

Back to top Go down

Re: Aldwych and Beyond...

Post by busheyheath on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:44 pm

I am currently working on the Northern Heights route from Moorgate to Bushey Heath via Finsbury Park and Edgware. This line has a large depot between Elstree South and Bushey Heath. You might consider using that....
busheyheath

Back to top Go down

I have the Beck Line demo

Post by VishnuB on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:30 am

Alex, if you want Nathan's Beck Line demo from Holborn to Elephant and Castle, I have it (I downloaded it a long time ago and still run it occasionally) and am willing to send it to you. Perhaps you could continue building off of that, although it is quite outdated and openBVE's strict image handling often produces errors in it. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, these are the release notes from the demo:

Aldwych Extension - Holborn to Elephant and Castle

Aldwych Extension Project - Calling at Holborn, Aldwych (Strand), Charing Cross, Embankment, Waterloo, and Elephant and Castle.
Holborn to Aldwych RW Code ©Nathan Whittington. Route and artwork ©2001 James Roberts. Train file is ©2001 Steve Green - other objects except station advertisements and sounds ©Steve Green.
Thanks to Tom for beta testing.

Anyway, my suggestion for the route would be to extend north from Camden to Gospel Oak, Hampstead, and eventually Borehamwood or Luton (perhaps that's too far) and to go south from Herne Hill or Battersea Park to Croydon, Lewisham, Beckenham, Morden, etc.
VishnuB

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_farlie on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44 am

VishnuB wrote:Alex, if you want Nathan's Beck Line demo from Holborn to Elephant and Castle, I have it (I downloaded it a long time ago and still run it occasionally) and am willing to send it to you. Perhaps you could continue building off of that, although it is quite outdated and openBVE's strict image handling often produces errors in it. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, these are the release notes from the demo:

Aldwych Extension - Holborn to Elephant and Castle

Aldwych Extension Project - Calling at Holborn, Aldwych (Strand), Charing Cross, Embankment, Waterloo, and Elephant and Castle.
Holborn to Aldwych RW Code ©Nathan Whittington. Route and artwork ©2001 James Roberts. Train file is ©2001 Steve Green - other objects except station advertisements and sounds ©Steve Green.
Thanks to Tom for beta testing.

Anyway, my suggestion for the route would be to extend north from Camden to Gospel Oak, Hampstead, and eventually Borehamwood or Luton (perhaps that's too far) and to go south from Herne Hill or Battersea Park to Croydon, Lewisham, Beckenham, Morden, etc.

Sadly I can't make use of that route as a basis for copyright reasons...

alex_farlie

Back to top Go down

That's too bad

Post by VishnuB on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that. As a contributor to the route, aren't you allowed to make changes and re-distribute? After all, here it says that you are indeed an author of the route:

(source:The London Tube)

And even if you're not the main author, wouldn't it be possible to contact Nathan, Steve, David, and whoever else needed to seek permission for redistribution?

I've found Nathan's e-mail address from Train-sim, it is: n.whitington@btinternet.com
And I'm pretty sure Steve's will be in one of his route readmes.
VishnuB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum