'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

solved 'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

Post by hasnotif on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:31 am

I've been developing a route just for the fun of it, and after throwing in some huge numbers with lots of decimal places for some trackwork, I get this message when trying to open it in openBVE: (download the attachment)

I checked the amount of memory left in my computer - 208GB free of 244GB. I've been trying to figure out the nature of this problem, but my ICT knowledge is limited. I really need some help from more experienced and knowledgeable people here.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Attachments
outofmemoryexception.docx You don't have permission to download attachments.(191 Kb) Downloaded 5 times

hasnotif

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-03-23

Back to top Go down

solved Re: 'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

Post by Dexter on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:36 am

Looks like the calculations are too complex - I think it will be connected rather to the video card memory, than to physical RAM. How many decimal places do you use and what is you Graphic card?
avatar
Dexter

Posts : 1824
Join date : 2011-07-08
Age : 31
Location : Brno, Czech republic

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

solved Re: 'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

Post by hasnotif on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 am

I think there are about close to 10 decimal places. Meanwhile how do I check what graphics card my computer has?

hasnotif

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-03-23

Back to top Go down

solved Re: 'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

Post by LabRatAndy on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:47 am

Try using fewer decimal places I'd say 10 was way too many, given that 3 will give you millimetre accuracy, 6 will give you micron accuracy and 9 will give you nanometre accuracy. Computer chips are measured on a nanometre scales, so I think 10 decimal places for a simulated railway might be a touch too complex.

LabRatAndy

Posts : 95
Join date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

solved Re: 'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

Post by Dexter on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:26 pm

LabRatAndy wrote:Try using fewer decimal places I'd say 10 was way too many, given that 3 will give you millimetre accuracy, 6 will give you micron accuracy and 9 will give you nanometre accuracy. Computer chips are measured on a nanometre scales, so I think 10 decimal places for a simulated railway might be a touch too complex.

True.
avatar
Dexter

Posts : 1824
Join date : 2011-07-08
Age : 31
Location : Brno, Czech republic

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

solved Re: 'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

Post by joeyfjj on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:41 pm

hasnotif wrote:I've been developing a route just for the fun of it, and after throwing in some huge numbers with lots of decimal places for some trackwork, I get this message when trying to open it in openBVE: (download the attachment)

I checked the amount of memory left in my computer - 208GB free of 244GB. I've been trying to figure out the nature of this problem, but my ICT knowledge is limited. I really need some help from more experienced and knowledgeable people here.

Thanks for your help in advance.

A computer has two main types of "memory", long-term (hard disk, which is the 244GB you mentioned) and short-term (RAM, also called "memory").

When you get an out-of-memory error, it's about your computer's short-term memory, or the "RAM".

How much memory do you have installed? If you are on Windows 7, open your start menu, right click Computer, and click Properties, and you'll find it there.


joeyfjj

Posts : 265
Join date : 2011-07-30
Location : Singapore

http://joeyfoo.com

Back to top Go down

solved Re: 'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

Post by hasnotif on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:43 am

@JoeyFoo:

I checked, and my computer has 4GB of RAM.

@LabRatAndy:

Alright, will try decreasing the number of decimal places and see if it works.

UPDATE: Decreased the number of decimal places to 3, and openBVE works fine!

hasnotif

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-03-23

Back to top Go down

solved Re: 'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

Post by mobile1 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:00 pm

does this happen when you are using route viewer ?...I have found that after several refreshes on a high demanding route file it happens on my laptop, i deal with it by restarting route viewer, there was an earlier thread about this...
avatar
mobile1

Posts : 133
Join date : 2011-08-22

Back to top Go down

solved out of system memory

Post by mobile1 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:22 pm

Further to my last post, I`ve since discovered a small freeware program that will help to identify where the memory loss is happening...download MemStatus by Kevin Reems...http://www.nuclearplayground.com/NuclearPlayground/MemStatus/.....

What i did find was interesting...when using route viewer the system ram is not released back, which makes route viewer throw up an exception when the ram used gets to around 87%, now that doesnt make a lot of difference using my pc, with the usual 4gb ram (XP) but on my laptop which only has 2gb ram it crashes quite a lot, probably because the new route files are memory intensive...

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of computing will make sense of this.......regards
avatar
mobile1

Posts : 133
Join date : 2011-08-22

Back to top Go down

solved Re: 'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

Post by alvinhochun on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:45 am

hasnotif wrote:Decreased the number of decimal places to 3, and openBVE works fine!
Yes, 2 decimal places is already up to a 1cm precision, so there is actually no point to use that "accurate".
avatar
alvinhochun

Posts : 88
Join date : 2012-05-08
Location : Hong Kong

Back to top Go down

solved Re: 'System.OutOfMemoryException'?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum