Route Editor Alph Testers Wanted

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Route Editor Alph Testers Wanted

Post by phileakins on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:45 pm

graymac wrote:No Very Happy

Well, that told you!! Laughing albino

Happy to say that the folding problem is now resolved (or I think it is) and I should be able send out Alpha release four at the end of this week. As a spoiler - I am beginning to explore the editing of 'objects'

The identity 'mystery developer' is up to him to reveal when he is confident with the editor and feels able to recommend it (hint, hint).

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Out of curiosity Phil, does the program need the route file in one doc, or is it possible to handle split files* similar to use by NWM and BWR-2012?

*where separate .txt files are used for parts of the route with " $include " to bring them in at loading time.
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm

graymac wrote:Out of curiosity Phil, does the program need the route file in one doc, or is it possible to handle split files* similar to use by NWM and BWR-2012?

*where separate .txt files are used for parts of the route with " $include " to bring them in at loading time.

The idea behind OTE multi-document editing is that $include files (as many as is wanted) can be edited/created in parallel with the 'parent' route and merged/viewed through the RouteViewer (or OBVE) via in-program options, during development. The files can then be separately saved, as required. Rather like Notepad++ with an inbuilt (seamless) access to viewers and automatic access to commands.

So the answer is no, monolithic files ain't on the menu (unless that's what is wanted of course! Very Happy ).

PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you a copy to play with, no obligation except an honest evaluation.

Regards.

Phil

Last edited by phileakins on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Salesmanshp!!)

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:31 pm

The latest (version 5) Alpha test software has now been sent off to my willing victi...... , sorry, testers for them to try to break.

A couple of piccies of some new features: Multi document editing is now a reality, and was a real b**l buster to get right (or as right as I think it is) and the last eight files opened or saved are now remembered for easier loading.

I'll next look at a better tab system and getting the object side of things working.

Alpha testers still wanted. PM or even e-mail me at p.eakins at tesco.net. No installation needed and it will work from a memory stick if required.

Phil

Attachments
Multi-Tab1 - 21 Oct 2012.jpg Multi document editor in useYou don't have permission to download attachments.(113 Kb) Downloaded 11 times
SelectRecentList 21 Oct 2012.jpg Recent file list awaiting selectionYou don't have permission to download attachments.(130 Kb) Downloaded 5 times

Last edited by phileakins on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Can't spell!)

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:59 pm

An update to push this project to the top again! Very Happy

Object and Animate commands have now been added to the menu system to be selected by hot-key/mouse click or keyboard selection while editing.

With the addition of object capabilities the editor is now becoming an integrated environment (route, include and object files can all be open for editing and testing at the same time) and so it's changed it's name (again) to IOTE - for Integrated Open Text Editor (or Environment, I'm not yet sure, but it doesn't matter anyway).

Still some wiring up to do before alpha 7 is sent out, alpha 6 was to be an interim release but never quite made it, sometime next week. Let me know if you want one.

As we are getting on towards the first beta, I would like to compile a (realistic Laughing ) wish list of features that people might like to see before this phase of development is finished.

I'm going to have to get stuck into my York Uni work in the very near future (first draft due December. Shocked) so I can't promise quick delivery but gives me something to aim at.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:40 am

I've had a brief look at this and I'm encouraged by some of the possibilities. It would seem useful having tabbed documents rather than several opened txt windows, and the mouse click insertions of common instructions saves a lot of typing as well as reducung the incidence of syntax errors if you're a sh**e typist (like me)! Worth a try and probably the sort of tool that is even better when you are familiar with it.
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Just about there for alpha v7 with object editing built in for release.

A couple more screen shots of the progress to whet your appetite:

As before, let me know if you want a copy to play with the only obligation being to let me know of bugs to be fixed, I can't now test every route (pun intended!) through the software as it is getting very complex.

Phil

Attachments
ObjectFile1.png An object file being edited with auto-completion menuYou don't have permission to download attachments.(190 Kb) Downloaded 17 times
ObjectFile2.png One of Gray's objects seen through the editor and ObjectViewer, started from the editor.You don't have permission to download attachments.(138 Kb) Downloaded 16 times

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Normal service will shortly be resumed ...

I've been grappling with the creation a 1800 word research proposal, something I've never even thought of doing before, due in at York Uni next Monday. Crying or Very sad And I still haven't completed the literature review.

Setting up bookmarking for the editor is going to be a doddle compared!

Be back soon.

Phil

PS Scary thought - If the proposal gets through I'm committed to doing the research and then publishing the result. Ooer missus.....

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Do you still have any spots for testers open? I am lucky to have a computer that can run openBVE perfectly Very Happy I can run on high settings and not get any lag.

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Right, long time no message from Phil... I hope he didn't quit on his project. I would be honoured to host such a great piece of work on brnobve!
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Wottttt!!!!! .. Me quit???? Shocked

No - I'm having a problem with real life interfering with playtime though.

As I said earlier, I'm part way through a York University Railway History course and I'm due at the Railway Museum next week with a full blown oral proposal (with research!) for my final essay to prove to my tutor - and she now says, to her colleagues.

Shaking, boots, in, my - rearrange as appropriate.

To say nothing about my problems getting bookmarking to work across open documents! All right, say nothing. Very Happy

I will return to development in a few days? weeks? but it's a matter of priorities at the moment.

Buckysam - send me a PM with your e-mail - I'll distribute a very interim update to everyone.

Regards.

Phil

PS Thanks for the kind words Dexter. albino

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:00 pm

phileakins wrote:Wottttt!!!!! .. Me quit???? Shocked

No - I'm having a problem with real life interfering with playtime though.

As I said earlier, I'm part way through a York University Railway History course and I'm due at the Railway Museum next week with a full blown oral proposal (with research!) for my final essay to prove to my tutor - and she now says, to her colleagues.

Shaking, boots, in, my - rearrange as appropriate.

To say nothing about my problems getting bookmarking to work across open documents! All right, say nothing. Very Happy

I will return to development in a few days? weeks? but it's a matter of priorities at the moment.

Buckysam - send me a PM with your e-mail - I'll distribute a very interim update to everyone.

Regards.

Phil

PS Thanks for the kind words Dexter. albino

I haven't gotten another email from you. Have you not sent it yet?

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:11 am

Hi Buckysam

Not yet, I'm trying to organise a Dropbox account (and learn how to use it!) which will help with your e-mail attachment size limitations.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 pm

phileakins wrote:Hi Buckysam

Not yet, I'm trying to organise a Dropbox account (and learn how to use it!) which will help with your e-mail attachment size limitations.

Phil

Don't do that yet. I have a google account and I use Google Drive and its really easy to use and you can share files and documents with other people. If you have some google account, you can use it without creating a new account

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Hello all Alpha Testers out there.

I've heard that my last e-mail sent on 22 January has, at least on one occasion been classed as 'spam' and did not get through.

If you are on my list and didn't get an e-mail can you let me know please?

Thanks.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 pm

I got it, sorry for not having checked back yet, I sure will soon.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Phill,

I got a chance to check out the program not too long ago and it looks pretty good. I also not too long ago stumbled across and old timetable editor program on the net. It's an older program but its not bad and it's pretty easy to use. The site that i found it on the site's owner says that the author of the program has disappeared so you should be able to do whatever you want with it. If you want I'll email it to you if you want to check it out and maybe add something like this into the program.

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by LabRatAndy on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:46 pm

buckysam wrote:
The site that i found it on the site's owner says that the author of the program has disappeared so you should be able to do whatever you want with it. If you want I'll email it to you if you want to check it out and maybe add something like this into the program.

That's only true if the person who put that statement there, IS the legal copyright holder of the program (normally the author) or it has been released under a license that allows anyone to distribute it. If not sadly you'll need permission from the copyright holder to redistribute.

LabRatAndy

Back to top Go down

Post by buckysam on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:14 pm

LabRatAndy wrote:
buckysam wrote:
The site that i found it on the site's owner says that the author of the program has disappeared so you should be able to do whatever you want with it. If you want I'll email it to you if you want to check it out and maybe add something like this into the program.

That's only true if the person who put that statement there, IS the legal copyright holder of the program (normally the author) or it has been released under a license that allows anyone to distribute it. If not sadly you'll need permission from the copyright holder to redistribute.

Oops. Shocked I probably worded that wrong. I wasn't suggesting he steal it. Just take a look at the program and see about adding his own thing into the program based off of the one I found. Phil, if you can read this, if you're still interested, I can email it to you to check out.

buckysam

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:05 pm

OK chaps - My studies for this year have finished - The last essay is in and I'm awaiting the marks. Apparently is going to be marked three times. Shocked

IOTE development is now back on, once I've remind myself what I've done up to now. I want to sort out bookmarking first.

Dexter is going to let me have his suggestions (aren't you!) but as the testing base is a bit (rather an understatement!) small, I'm throwing the Alpha version [url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137228657/IOTE/IOTE Alpha 22 Jan 2013.7z /url] is open for everyone to try the software. Download and extract the program (7zip) to wherever, including external drives, click on IOTE.exe to get going.  Post any problems/questions here.

Just let me know what you want/think. If I don't know I can't try to address it for you!

@Buckysam Sorry I haven't followed up on your last post, been a bit busy - e-mail me the link or whatever and I'll have a look.

@Quork How's the Arse Backward development going?

Cheers.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:41 pm

It's progressing very slowly only. I got too much laden on my shoulders at once, but it isn't forgotten. Neither are the brake calculations.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi People!!

No, no results yet although my tutor says that they are in, the suspense is killing.

However, once I've got to grips with the code I haven't looked at for ten months or so, we will have a goat track. That's a roadmap, but a bit more rural.

I've got in mind a release adding a couple of flavours of bookmark, and a general tidy up, before starting again on IOTE ll to sort out the extremely ugly code which lies behind version one.

So, this is your chance to ask for new functionality, yes Dexter that means you :-)), so that I can compile a wish list.

The Jan 2013 version is still downloadable here [on request by PM] for you to try.

Cheers.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Just to let you all know -  the latest beta version of the Text Editor is now to be found on Dexter's BrnoBve.eu web site, under Developers/Unofficial Tools.

I need feedback if this project is to proceed. I've got ideas, but do they give you what you need!!!!!  albino 

Cheers.

Phil

PS I passed the course - only trouble is that there's another one .... See here.  Very Happy

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen Cross on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:40 pm

Hi Phil,

Been giving your great Editor a real workout.  It doesn't order things the way I  would but it takes a lot of the pain out of the development process.

Will continue using it over the Christmas break and I will report again.

Bye for now, 

Stephen.
Stephen Cross

http://www.bve-terminus.org

Back to top Go down

Post by phileakins on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:35 am

Hi Stephen

Thanks for giving the Editor a bashing!

How would you order things? The way it behaves is only my best guess and your input would be of real value.

Happy Christmas.

Phil

phileakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum