A thought.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A thought.

Post by alex_farlie on Sat May 26, 2012 3:34 pm

I had a crazy idea about building a 'theme park-ride' in the OpenBVE engine Smile

However the current route format presents some limitations...

So can someone post what the current engine limitations are?

IIRC by trial and error I determined that I can't have a block length less than 1m , which means that curves have to be of considerably
larger radius. What's the minimum curve radius that the engine supports ( Also can the update Route Builder someone was working on
handle 1m vs 25 m sections?

alex_farlie

Back to top Go down

Re: A thought.

Post by alvinhochun on Sat May 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Problem: openBVE is intended to be a normal railway system simulation, such that tracks are based on a 2D grid, and we won't have a track with infinite slope.

Of course you can possibly fork openBVE into a "roller coaster simulator". Normal operations of a railway like track circuits and signals will simply be nonsense for a roller coaster.
alvinhochun

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_farlie on Sun May 27, 2012 12:19 am

alvinhochun wrote:Problem: openBVE is intended to be a normal railway system simulation, such that tracks are based on a 2D grid, and we won't have a track with infinite slope.

Of course you can possibly fork openBVE into a "roller coaster simulator". Normal operations of a railway like track circuits and signals will simply be nonsense for a roller coaster.

There are many existing coaster simulations, but no freely available 'dark-ride' ones. If anyone else is interested in a 'Ridez' simulator please LMK.

OK So rides don't have railway style 'track-circuting' but the dark rides I've encountered still have 'block' sections for controlling ride systems and effects Smile

alex_farlie

Back to top Go down

Post by alex_farlie on Sun May 27, 2012 12:20 am

alvinhochun wrote:Problem: openBVE is intended to be a normal railway system simulation, such that tracks are based on a 2D grid, and we won't have a track with infinite slope.

The Infinite slope issue doesn't occur with he sort of things I want do.. No dark ride I've encountered has vertical drops. Some do however
have slopes gerater than 1:1

alex_farlie

Back to top Go down

Post by alvinhochun on Sun May 27, 2012 3:34 am

alex_farlie wrote:

The Infinite slope issue doesn't occur with he sort of things I want do.. No dark ride I've encountered has vertical drops. Some do however
have slopes gerater than 1:1
Some problem is preventing me from understanding your message Sleep

Anyway if this is not a problem then it is totally possible to make one with the existing openBVE versions.
alvinhochun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum