Fatal incident on NYMR.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fatal incident on NYMR.

Post by lonelyinardwick on Mon May 21, 2012 4:50 pm

This was on the homepage of the Yorkshire Evening Post:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/worker-dies-on-north-yorkshire-moors-railway-1-4569755

A rail worker has died after becoming trapped between two trains on a heritage railway.

The man died in an incident at Grosmont Station, on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, at about 12.30pm today, British Transport Police said.

A BTP spokesman said: “BTP officers were called to Grosmont rail station on Monday, May 21, following a report of an incident involving a member of staff working on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

“BTP and North Yorkshire Police officers attended the incident which was reported to BTP at 12.30pm, and is believed to be non-suspicious.

“Paramedics also attended but the man, who is believed to be in his sixties, was pronounced dead at the scene.

“An investigation is ongoing to establish the full circumstances surrounding the man’s death.

“The Rail Accident Investigation Branch has been informed.”

Grosmont, six miles from Whitby, is the northern terminus of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR).

It is a popular and well-known tourist attraction which runs steam trains through spectacular moorland scenery on an 18-mile route from Grosmont to Pickering.

There is an intersection at Grosmont between the NYMR heritage line and regular train services between Middlesbrough and Whitby.

Around the station there are workshops and other sidings used by the NYMR.

The NYMR website carried an announcement this afternoon which said: “All services are currently suspended due to a serious incident at Grosmont.

“The North Yorkshire Moors Railway apologises for any inconvenience caused.”

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: Fatal incident on NYMR.

Post by Quork on Mon May 21, 2012 5:01 pm

The victim's family and friends have my deepest sympathy. A death is always tragic, and when it is on duty, it is even more. Also the staff of the two trains mentioned have my deepest sympathy, a death on rails is always a great blow, especially if the victim is a person you know, a collegue. Without knowing the circumstances, I'd nonetheless appeal to all persons who work with railways to have this tragic accident as a remainder for the importance of safety regulations. Inattentiveness kills. Whether it's an ICE at 300km/h or a heritage engine shunting along.

Quork

Location : Frankfurt am Main (Frankfurt on Main), Hessen (Hesse), European Union (Deutschland (Germany))

http://www.parkbahnschmiden.de/

Back to top Go down

Post by busheyheath on Mon May 21, 2012 5:11 pm

I can only second that. This is one of the few lines in the UK I travelled, and I know the station well. Sad!

busheyheath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum