Gothic bricks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gothic bricks

Post by Quork on Sun May 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Back in my LokSim3D-days, I developed a set of "gothic bricks". Would there be interest in those here? I could remake them.

The concept is quite simple. You remember your old wooden castle bricks? Well duh, you have it. The whole thing is based on cuboids of IIRC 5m*5m*3m, with photorealistic textures based on the Alpirsbach Monastery, which is partly romanic, partly gothic. The cuboids (and some additional elements sized otherway but compatible) can be combined in any way you like, from a simple village church to a huge cathedral with crossings, transepts, naves and so on. You can find a (small) screenshot of a demo object in the attachement.

If there is interest, I'd not only remake the set with these textures for OpenBVE, but I'd also do request work, if you provide me with textures. The system isn't limited to churches, I can make timber framing houses, castles, irish bogs *glance at Graymac*, anything you wish. Only conditions I demand:
1. The bricks all will stay compatible with each other, so they all will base on the same base size to maximize possibilities for any developer wishing to mix anything s/he wants, e.g. a baroque church in a gothic castle, which is based on romanic foundation, with timber framing houses leaning on the outer castle wall. This means also that the bricks stay based on the metric system.
2. The bricks together with the textures will all be under the same license: Free to use and change under the condition of keeping size, texture quality, license and credits.
3. The textures are to be photorealistic (so based on photos or rendered under high realism, e.g. in Blender), at least the same resolution as the original set and, where possible, mapped the same way as existing objects of the original set or newer ones.
Attachments
Demokirchlein.l3dgrp.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(3 Kb) Downloaded 15 times
Quork

Back to top Go down

Re: Gothic bricks

Post by Dexter on Sun May 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Oh, that is very nice... how large is it?
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Sun May 06, 2012 8:31 pm

What do you mean? The demo church? That would be about 30m height I think.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Sun May 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Aha!!! Too late, mon ami! I already made a round tower and some ruined abbeys for the new route.
[img] [/img]

The round towers date back to when the Vikings used to visit, not exactly for a summer holiday. The monks (who had all the valuables) would shut themselves and the loot in the tower and pull up the ladder ( the doors were about 20 feet off the ground).
This was fine as long as they could prevent the vikings setting fire to the tower. If the tower caught light it worked as a very good chimney. Roast monk is a good, satisfying dinner when you've been working hard all day, looting, raping and pillaging!
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by busheyheath on Sun May 06, 2012 9:22 pm

There is such an Irish tower in the South of Belgium near Mesen, as a monument for the Irish soldiers of WWI...
busheyheath

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Sun May 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Alas... Well, if anybody is interested, just drop a note and I'll see to it.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Tstageman on Wed May 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Looking good there Gray, is that a cylinder you have managed to texture or is it a cylinder made up of lots of rectangular faces?

Regards

Tom
Tstageman

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Wed May 09, 2012 9:52 pm

It's a textured cylinder alright, Tom. That was the easy bit. The hard bit was making a texture that didn't show 'banding' or 'tiling'. for that I used a utility called "Bricks'n'Tiles", which I got off the web. I took bitmaps of about ten actual stones from a real round tower (just down the road, we've loads of 'em) and the little program made me a nice seamless texture.
The pointy top is a seperate mesh, easily added.
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyinardwick on Wed May 09, 2012 9:54 pm

I hope the names on the graveyard are blurred and etc. because I don't want bad spirits coming our way. Just saying..

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Wed May 09, 2012 9:56 pm

As you can see in the texturing guide I'm writing, I decided to build my set of bricks even though there isn't any immediate interest. Gray; could you maybe please make some photos of those round towers and ruins 'round you? For textures? I could easily imagine part of the textures would be also internationally usable for medieval buildings.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Wed May 09, 2012 10:08 pm

[/URL][/img]

You won't find the complete buildings much use, outside of an Irish context, though the stone textures might translate elsewhere.
I posted a round tower as well but only the square one seems to work and I can't spend more time with this image shack scheisse, it doesn't work for me.
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Wed May 09, 2012 10:27 pm

Thank you =) I'll see into it, as you say, at least the stone textures are universal, but maybe more. But not today anymore, I have an early duty to Cologne tomorrow, need to go to sleep now^^
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Wed May 09, 2012 10:30 pm

Schlafen sie gut! Auf wiedersehen.
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Wed May 09, 2012 10:35 pm

We railway persons always speek in the T-Form (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%E2%80%93V_distinction), so it's "Schlaf gut!", please Wink
Codladh go maith!
(hope Google Translate isn't leading me into the marshes here...)
If the weather is right, I'll maybe post some photos in the photo thread afterwards. You know, 300km/h Wink
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Wed May 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Google translator is near enough. I'm not an Irish speaker myself, I have a few words of the gaelige (Removed due to clampdown on language. sorry. ) and it is not an easy language. I did elementary german years ago, but lived in England at the time so never got much chance to use it, if you don't use it you lose it!

Last edited by mrknowitall on Wed May 09, 2012 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please see section 3 of forum rules.)
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Thu May 31, 2012 7:39 pm

The first floor (with daytexture as documented in the textures-from-crap-guide) is finished now:

At day

At night

At Zaduszki night or, as some would prefer, Samhain

With broken glass at day

With broken glass at night
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:01 pm

A small demo tower containing all objects created till now
Attachments
Demo01day.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(20 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Demo01night.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(15 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:25 am

Working soundtrack: "Dancing mad" by Nobuo Uematsu, from the Final Fantasy VI music, as played by Uematsu's former band "The Black Mages": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsgH4HdW66I

Added: Two big windows (nicknamed "grand window" in the set), one twoparted and one threeparted. Both consist of a bottom element, a centre element and a top element. Bottom and top are necessary (resulting in a minimum height of 6m), the central part is optional and can be tiled as often as seems fit. In the screenshots the windows consist of bottom+centre+centre+top.

The two-parted window is inspired by a stained glass window in the Maulbronn monastery, the three-parted window is heavily based on a stained glass window in the Cologne Cathedral (also known as the worlds biggest railway station chapell). The base wall is obviously the same as in the other, Alpirsbach abbey-based elements and the church in Obertsrot also was the source for some texture bits.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:27 pm

Added elements:

- rose windows, three types, with tinted glass
- buttresses, three types: Simple, with rooflet, with rooflet and crown

*nighttime behaviour of the buttresses has been corrected after the screenshot was taken, see lower images
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum