Virtual High Speed 2 - IN NEED OF OPINIONS!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Virtual High Speed 2 - IN NEED OF OPINIONS!

Post by kwijiboenator on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:26 pm

I am now starting to put together a High Speed 2 route for BVE - the question is, do I follow the DfT route, or base a route along the M1 corridor, as has been suggested by some groups, around the issue of the construction of the actual thing?

Let's bear in mind that the WCML which the actual proposed route is loosely based on was upgraded not long ago - and already serves big towns and cities. Now, the WCML and the ECML could - with some changes to signalling - could run trains at circa 150mph at some point in the future.

BUT - the M1 corridor follows the lesser used, lesser known, and subsequently industrial towns and cities along the route which are in more dire need of a replacement for the MML - such as Leicester, Derby, Sheffield, etc for improved economic growth, which cities along the WCML have already achieved. PLUS consider that branches to Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds would be MUCH better geographically - the 'Y' has been criticized because the branches it pertains to, aren't going to drastically slash the journey times from say Leeds, and then there is the expansion of such a route to Scotland.

Lastly though - another concern has been the capacity at London Euston. It's fair to say that it would be easier to add in HS2 Platforms at St.Pancras - and as St.Pancras is better connected to Europe, and is a much more impressive gateway to London, it makes more sense for the route to start here. Plus the distance will be shorter, and thus the route would be cheaper to construct, (and easier for me to put together!).

So, should I follow the DfT's WCML-XL, or the M1/MML?
kwijiboenator

Back to top Go down

Re: Virtual High Speed 2 - IN NEED OF OPINIONS!

Post by kwijiboenator on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:41 pm

Ok, I've now layed down the track in a CSV file for High Speed 2, running from St.Pancras, to Luton Airport, Northampton, and Leicester.

Once I've developed more on what I've got, I'll extend the track further Northwards. I'm more or less checking out maps before adding in curves and gradients.

I didn't think I'd start developing my own route, simply because I could never really find the time - now I'm slotting it in between my other word - and it's nice to see it very gradually come together.

Once I've finalised the track and built some of the stations, I may want to take on some help with the scenery - but we'll see.
kwijiboenator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum