Book Club...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What type of books do you enjoy reading?

11% 11% 
[ 1 ]
44% 44% 
[ 4 ]
33% 33% 
[ 3 ]
11% 11% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 9

Book Club...

Post by pedned on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Well basically how many people read books for pleasure here?
If so, what type of book?
If theres a certain type/authors work/series of book you enjoy, please share here.
And maybe give us a few reviews, or reccomendations etc. Smile

pedned

Back to top Go down

Re: Book Club...

Post by pedned on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Also, one of the favourite series of books draws to a close fairly soon.
The new, and last part of the Artemis Fowl series is released in June or July.

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Andy nc nabb. legendary Smile
mrknowitall

http://www.bve-terminus.org/pioneertrains/

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:06 pm

mrknowitall wrote:Andy nc nabb. legendary Smile
Yes, his stuff it jaw droppingly detailed.
Always a brilliant read to be fair.

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by viccylinefan on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Book reading? UP MY FECKIN ARSE!!!!! Very Happy

No i'm not a book reader, much rather be reading the screen thanks very much lol!

viccylinefan
viccylinefan

http://www.youtube.co.uk/user/elevatorlover123

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:23 pm

It's not valid if you can only select ONE category. I expect lots of people read books for information and pleasure. I have bookshelves with fiction ranging from Shakespeare to Terry Pratchett. Philip Roth to Tom Sharpe and a good bit else besides. As well as reference books on music, arts and crafts, photography, graphic design . . . . . . . . .
So, if I check the fiction button I'm only telling you a fraction of the truth.

@viccy - So much for the educated elite in Oxfordshire. Mr Cameron will be disappointed with you, and him only living up the road!!! Very Happy
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:29 pm

viccylinefan wrote:Book reading? UP MY FECKIN ARSE!!!!! Very Happy

No i'm not a book reader, much rather be reading the screen thanks very much lol!

viccylinefan

You know books have been here for quite a long time, much earlier than your screen they were invented. As an educational tool, that has been a resource of valuable information for ages, they deserve a bit of respect, I guess.
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Books, the old school version of wikipedia!

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Well, books have been found that contain knowledge written down centuries ago. A lot of computer media doesn't last 10 years. How much stuff have you got lying about in dusty cupboards on floppy disks? And what's the chances of recovering it or finding a machine/program that will read it. OK, stick it all on a cloud in cyberspace , but that isn't proper archiving. Or permanent. And anyway there's too much already on the internet and a lot of it is utter Bollox. So don't diss books. Except the pulp fiction kind, of course. Books are valuable to record stuff thats worth keeping. Though the web is totally brill for inconsequential ephemeral tat. As they say, horses for courses.
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:21 pm

graymac wrote:Well, books have been found that contain knowledge written down centuries ago. A lot of computer media doesn't last 10 years. How much stuff have you got lying about in dusty cupboards on floppy disks? And what's the chances of recovering it or finding a machine/program that will read it. OK, stick it all on a cloud in cyberspace , but that isn't proper archiving. Or permanent. And anyway there's too much already on the internet and a lot of it is utter Bollox. So don't diss books. Except the pulp fiction kind, of course. Books are valuable to record stuff thats worth keeping. Though the web is totally brill for inconsequential ephemeral tat. As they say, horses for courses.

I agree, i found a family member in the graveyard behind me, because of a book. was about the "pals brigades" and me and my step uncle ended up going all over Europe looking for the "bradford pals" which if im correct my great,great,great grand farther was in, it turns out he was in the book, and it actually explained he was laid to rest in the graveyard behind my house! very very spooky! but very nice to feel you have found a family member Smile weather they be dead or not Smile

mrknowitall

http://www.bve-terminus.org/pioneertrains/

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:54 am

Books are awesome. Aside from books for information etc.
Novels, Biographies, etc. Much easier to sit and read a book, than it is to scroll through webpage after webpage just to read it...

Or maybe Im just a bit old for my age.

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Or maybe Im just a bit old for my age.

Not at all. Just a bit sensible, perhaps Very Happy
graymac

Back to top Go down

my preferred books

Post by vpodhola on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Since I am "old generation" I read books especially crime stories (my preferred author is Dick Francis) and you will be surprised - I read all volumes of Harry Potter. It is a book for readers from 9 to 99.
vpodhola

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:19 pm

vpodhola wrote:... and you will be surprised - I read all volumes of Harry Potter. It is a book for readers from 9 to 99.

Well, me too, because my girlfriend was telling me that sometimes it is nice to run into a fantasy world and get involved with an interesting story. She's a wise girl, she was right. Very Happy
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyinardwick on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:17 pm

Stop spam. Read Books. (Pun Intended)

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Post by thehoviskid on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Anyone have any thoughts either way on eBooks? We have them now at work, but with mixed feedback.
thehoviskid

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 am

I believe ebooks have some value. It is a suitable format for novels and material which will not need to be referred to frequently or is "disposable". Such as popular fiction.
The format doesn't support graphics to a sufficient degree to make it viable for "how to" material so don't look for the eejits guide on Kindle. Mac tablets which support PDF will be fine.
Environmentally the ebook is possibly more sustainable though spent batteries are more toxic than waste paper.
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by thehoviskid on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:11 pm

True, the selection of non-fiction is quite limited, and reading a heavily illustrated text would be problematic.

We've been finding that teenagers and young adults aren't that keen on them though- i suppose after a day staring at monitors and laptops and smartphones, you need a break and a change of format? Older people actually seem to like them more than younger folk.
thehoviskid

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:56 pm

thehoviskid wrote:We've been finding that teenagers and young adults aren't that keen on them though- i suppose after a day staring at monitors and laptops and smartphones, you need a break and a change of format? Older people actually seem to like them more than younger folk.

Not many teenagers and young adults, are really interested in reading anyway! It's quite rare you see a teenager in a library for example!

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by thehoviskid on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:04 pm

More than you think, although a lot of that is IT use rather than recreational reading.

And shouting "Bogie" on the stairs, naturally.
thehoviskid

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyinardwick on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:36 pm

pedned wrote:Not many teenagers and young adults, are really interested in reading anyway! It's quite rare you see a teenager in a library for example!
At least that's how you see it.

lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:47 am

Wongie2009 wrote:
pedned wrote:Not many teenagers and young adults, are really interested in reading anyway! It's quite rare you see a teenager in a library for example!
At least that's how you see it.

If you asked 100 teenagers if they enjoy reading, I could guarantee only 20 of those, or maybe 30 max would say yes. The rest are too busy getting drunk and having house parties, to even know what a book is!

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Judging from my experience on a number of internet forums (NOT all trainsim related), the standard of spelling, grammar and general literacy is deteriorating among the general population, even if you factor in a generous allowance for typing errors. This is most likely due to a lack of reading anything more stimulating than the godawful tabloid press. Although even the "Sun" journalists can usually spell and put a sentence together. A generation raised on txt msgs and Nintendo may be intelligent but will lack the skills to express that intelligence in a meaningful way, innit.
graymac

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyinardwick on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:10 pm

pedned wrote:If you asked 100 teenagers if they enjoy reading, I could guarantee only 20 of those
The only strong argument I could think of to back up your point, is that it's ironic that places like Hong Kong and South Korea are topping the tables in English grammar and literacy whilst countries like Australia and the United Kingdom are starting to fall behind.

lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:08 pm

graymac wrote:Judging from my experience on a number of internet forums (NOT all trainsim related), the standard of spelling, grammar and general literacy is deteriorating among the general population, even if you factor in a generous allowance for typing errors. This is most likely due to a lack of reading anything more stimulating than the godawful tabloid press. Although even the "Sun" journalists can usually spell and put a sentence together. A generation raised on txt msgs and Nintendo may be intelligent but will lack the skills to express that intelligence in a meaningful way, innit.

Init Blud, Waagwanin?
Haha!
Ok, my grammar, may not be correct, and my spelling may not be all that great either.
But I do read The Daily Mail, when I bother to buy a newspaper. I Mostly check the news on either their website, or the Beeb's though..
And yes, I know even the grammar in this post may not be bang on. Although I am capable of writing a formal letter if needed. Smile
Most teenagers probably wouldn't even know how to write a letter. Never mind buy a stamp and post one! Laughing

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum