The new sound model

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The new sound model

Post by Dexter on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:17 am

I have noticed that in the most recent version of openBVE, 1.4.x, the sounds are played differently. Here's a conclusion I have come to:

I have made a quick test on the most recent version of openBVE and I have to say the sound realism is not very good in some particular cases. As one user on the oficial openBVe forum correctly pointed out, in real life, all the sounds (mainly ambient ones) have their effect on other sounds as the sound waves interfere in the air. But what we have now in openBVE is a crossing that can be heard from as far as 600 meters and about the same for river.
In reality, the crossing can be heard from about 80 meters or so during the day, depending on traffic. During nighttime, the distance is obviously different, I don't have any notes on this subject.
However, I tend to disagree with Michelle's thought "sound is never silent". If we take absolute position of the device that produces the sound, then we can hear the sound all the time (as long as the device is in operation). As long as the position of our train is something relative (moving around), the sound necessarily becomes silent at some point, because the sound waves practically cannot travel through the air unlimitedly. We don't have any other interfering sound waves in our routes, but there are still many obstacles on our routes that would in praxis made the sound fade away.

I say the sound becomes silent at some point and therefore the idea of keeping it alive unlimitedly is conceptually wrong; and I also say level crossing can definitely not be heard from 600 meters distance as it is now.
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Re: The new sound model

Post by Northern Line on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 am

Yeah I agree with you on that. I was playing a train the other day with the latest version of openbve and I notice in the exterior you can hear sound from one angle, but only from the drivers cab. Even when I turn away from it facing sideways, I can only hear it on one speaker.
You're right about hearing sounds from 600m. Even the London Underground Jubilee can be heard leaving bermondsey from London Bridge.

I think she should put it to at least 80m. Anyone else agree?
Northern Line

http://www.bve-district.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyinardwick on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 am

I'd second Shaq's post, she needs to reduce the distance. Ultimately, surrounding sounds of the enivronment will soon overlap sounds that are far away. But erm.. to be on the bright side, I think it's fantastic news for Deltic freaks. *Ahem* all of you..

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum