Class 31 cabview picture... (Anyone want to use them?)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Class 31 cabview picture... (Anyone want to use them?)

Post by pedned on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Well, I've been sat on some cab photos from 31190 (mainline registered with AWS, TPWS and OTMR already fitted to the cab). And I WAS going to create the cab. But with work commitments and my general busy and hectic life, I haven't hyad a chance to even merge the photos. So I was wondering if anyone was interested in taking the project on, and I'll provide the images (as long as I'm creditted for providing images). Wink

Well I think that's fair anyway, so let me know if you want them. Theres about 3 or 4 pictures of the cab which need merging, but it shouldnt be too much of a problem to do. If anyones interested please PM me. Smile

Thanks, Jamie.

pedned

Back to top Go down

Re: Class 31 cabview picture... (Anyone want to use them?)

Post by joeyfjj on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:19 pm

I might be interested, but I'll have to see the photos you have first, because this potentially is after all my first cab that requires stitching multiple images together.

joeyfjj

http://joeyfoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thehoviskid on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:34 pm

We could have it as a competition......
thehoviskid

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:07 am

Im off work tomorrow... well today now...
so will get my external HDD connected up and see if i can get them uploaded!

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Some pictures for you guys! Unfortunatly that's all I have, no pics of moving controls etc... But if they're of use to anyone, pm me with your email address and I'll get them emailed to you in full res! Smile
Attachments
_DSC0026-2 (Custom).jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(52 Kb) Downloaded 18 times
_DSC0027 (Custom).jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(71 Kb) Downloaded 11 times
_DSC0028 (Custom).jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(81 Kb) Downloaded 12 times
_DSC0029 (Custom).jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(83 Kb) Downloaded 13 times

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by Misfit on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Useful as these pictures may be there is a class 31 cab already available from BVETMD.
Misfit

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Misfit wrote:Useful as these pictures may be there is a class 31 cab already available from BVETMD.
Which I find a little too clean and narrow for my liking, hence why I planned to build a new cab for it... Cool
Plus on the BVE TMD one, you may note, that the AWS sunflower panel is in the wrong place! Wink
It SHOULD be at the top... But is far too low. Cool

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by Misfit on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Yes but only a minor fault but probably not acceptable to the rivet counter.
However I feel that time making a cab would be much better spent on creating one that does not already exist.
Misfit

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyfjj on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Well, played around with those images, and got this:

If this looks OK, then you can e-mail me (Inbox!) the full-res pics. I won't guarantee releasing what I make if they fall short of the standards I have set for myself, but chances are I'll get it done as a "patch" to BVETMD's class 31 and have it completed by early next year.

joeyfjj

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Misfit wrote:Yes but only a minor fault but probably not acceptable to the rivet counter.
However I feel that time making a cab would be much better spent on creating one that does not already exist.

Im not a rivet counter at all. But it's just, all the cabs now are wider, adn more and more realistic... It looks "aged" in build... And yes I know the history of when martin built it, from a single image, which was posted on TSC forum etc etc. Before anyone starts... And I'm not knocking him for that! Was just passing on my opinion. And thought, whilst I have better (again my opinion) images to build a higher quality cab from, they might as well be used!

And Joey that's looking great! As I said, unfortunately I don't have images of the controls in different places... But I will forward the full res images to you! Smile

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by viccylinefan on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Nice cab there Jamie, too good to be true! Shocked

viccylinefan
viccylinefan

http://www.youtube.co.uk/user/elevatorlover123

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:49 pm

Just a quick go at "blueing the windows" on the draft version which Joey has posted... (Hope you don't mind me posting this Joey).
And yeah, OK i haven't done a great job at it, but its still only a draft, and obviously not at full res either...

But here it is, sat at Maybank!
Attachments
31190draft1.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(433 Kb) Downloaded 23 times

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by bvetmd on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Just saw this thread so I thought I'd have a quick say....

All in all this looks promising chaps but just a couple of observations.....

If I was building this from your photos Jamie I would seriously consider using the DSC0026-2 file as the main base for the cab and try and join other bits to that image. The reason for this is that the other image is taken from far too low down in my book, it looks like what a 5 year old would see when sat in the seat, or a very short person with the cab seat hight at its lowest setting.
However, the DSC0026-2 image looks a little blurred to me or is it due to compression ? Maybe it could be sharpened up a bit in photoshop ?

One more thing, there is a possibility that if a version was built using the higher option, the handles could just maybe made to move, as some images may well be compatible from other cabs I have built or modified from other cab parts etc, and I'd be willing to assist if need be.
In fact, the 31 ideally needs re-working more for Open BVE to be honest and a decent new cab would probably give me the drive to do just that.

Anyway, must get back to DMU land, I've been rather busy recently........
bvetmd

http://bvetmd.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback Martin. As you may be aware by my photo site, or if youre on WNXX much. I am out most.weekends at pres lines. Or on tours with 31s. So there may be an opportunity it the new year to get more. Just out of interest are you still at the GCRN with the peak much? If so is there any chance 454 would work in Dec or Jan? If so maybe we could meet up and get some pics and if you have suitable equipment some new sounds from that? As I'm not too far away from there by car anyway. Wink

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by bvetmd on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm having a break from 'getting my hands dirty' at the moment for various reasons, though am still involved 'in the background' so to speak.
As for 454 going anywhere I'd doubt it at present, as far as I know most workings this month will be either the 20, 25 or 47 and maybe 73.
I've plenty more 31 sounds that are usable so its just pics that are needed really. See what can be done with what you have got already, if joeyfjj is up for it.
Like I said though, I'd be using the other image myself as a starting point. It might take a lot of stitching, bending and twisting but time taken=quality of final product.....
If all else fails I would be prepared to have a go with the high res versions, but lets see how joeyfjj gets on first.
bvetmd

http://bvetmd.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:24 am

Nice one Martin, thanks for the support... I have actually heard rumour of 454 working this month, and im presuming that it'll be at the GCRN, that's why I asked. Any ideas when it's set to leave? Maybe a farewell running day or something could be sorted out before it does leave? Wink Ok that's probably out of your control, and maybe slightly off topic... But yeah...

Anyway back to the cab...
I took the images purposely from that height actually, so you could get more of the desk into the shot... But I did notice it does look a little too low, compared to a drivers real line of vision... The full res images are being sorted through as soon as this post is made, so I should probably cut this short. But if you wanted a copy to have a look at, or have a play with, then by all means drop me a PM with your email address, and I'll get them your way. Cool I don't see it as treading on Joey's toes myself... Many minds, make easy work... And would allow more thought of positioning and setup etc. Especially someone with your experience. So I'd be more than happy to have you on side Martin...

Thanks again, Jamie

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyfjj on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:29 am

Here's what I've done so far. First, I stitched those pictures together, and got the image on the left. Notice the black areas and also the "broken" handle at the side. An hour in GIMP to digitally fill in the spaces got me the image to the right.

And of course that's not the full resolution, I had to scale them down as they were too large to include here.

joeyfjj

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Joey I've done some slight cropping and straightening to your image (the one on the right)... And I think it looks a little better... However Martin's also contributed by sending me his edited version, and I'm now torn between the 2... Hmm

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyinardwick on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:53 am

I'm actually feeling very appetised by Joey's version, props to Joey for the photoshopping experience. But am I alone thinking the "outer areas" of the photos are kind of curved compared to the center?

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Its called "barrel distortion" and is a by-product of the short focal length lenses used by digital cameras. It can be improved by a competent Photoshop operator
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyfjj on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:17 pm

graymac wrote:a competent Photoshop operator
...of which, I'm not one. Razz

Let's see what I can do about this...

joeyfjj

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Martin (BVE TMD) has been working on this, as well as Joey and for what it's worth myself. He's managed to create a panel image, with less distortion etc. So it's now looking a lot better. But remember Jeff, this is a refubishment program that has only just begun on the class 31. So there are a lot of things which will change / be improved upon as time goes by. So what you see now, may well not be what you will see when the 31 is deemed fit to be released into traffic!

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:28 pm

Just a little update. Martin's been hard at work on the 31, and it's come along from looking like this...

...To now having animated power, reverser and brake 'handles' as well as working brake gauges!
Eeeeek! this is getting exciting! cheers bounce

The work has now started on making the speedo and ammeter etc work, which is going to involve a little more work than was initially thought. Due to the angle from the driver of these gauges. So Martin may have to redraw them himself. But work seems to be progressing well. Very Happy

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Performance figures, and sounds haven't been worked on yet, at all... But here's a sneak preview for you all, of progress so far!! Cool

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by pedned on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:39 am

Just to keep you all updated! Work has started on the soundset! Wink

pedned

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum