1st Generation DMU

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1st Generation DMU

Post by ap1991 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:10 am

Thought I'd share a screenshot of a small project I've been working on...




It's a class 108, created from photos of E50599 that has been excellently preserved at Wirksworth.

Ecclesbourne Valley 101/108 by Adam Priseman, on Flickr
avatar
ap1991

Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-07-25
Age : 26
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by Dexter on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:27 pm

Looks like a nice one, I wold probably tweak the windows a little bit to not have them all the same. Smile
avatar
Dexter

Posts : 1842
Join date : 2011-07-08
Age : 32
Location : Brno, Czech republic

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by ap1991 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:32 pm

Time for a little update, the 108 is starting to look more like a train and less like a blue, grey and yellow box.

It now has a roof and an almost complete semi-3D underframe, engine and bogies.

Still to do, buffers, coupler equipment, carraige ends and the bit of not looking forward to and will probably take more time than the rest of the train put together, the cab roof dome...

Couple of in-game screenshots, here she is at Louth, forming a double set from Mablethorpe.



Engine detail...


Adam
avatar
ap1991

Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-07-25
Age : 26
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by ap1991 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Completed the buffer and coupler area, in true BR-Hybrid style, here she is leaving Boston for Skegness with half of Graymacs 101...



avatar
ap1991

Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-07-25
Age : 26
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by graymac on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  Mix and match!!!!
avatar
graymac

Posts : 1745
Join date : 2011-08-28
Location : Co Mayo, Eire

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by ap1991 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:44 am

I think in BR days it was less Mix and Match and more like "What have we got that still works that we can throw together?"

Western Region DMU by Andrew, on Flickr

To make the cab roof a little easier, I've decided to include the route headcode box, most of these were removed by BR during refurbishment, but a few survived...



Had a go at making the center car to go with it, still need to work on the underframe area but I cant find any decent referance photos to work from.

avatar
ap1991

Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-07-25
Age : 26
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by thehoviskid on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:29 pm

ap1991 wrote:To make the cab roof a little easier, I've decided to include the route headcode box, most of these were removed by BR during refurbishment, but a few survived...
Not quite...

The earlier ones has two markers and a two-charachter box below the centre window, and that's the variant you're modelling.  These had a simple destination box on the roof dome, the same cab as Classes 114, 116, 119, 122 and 125 (with 116 122 and 125 being high density sets, and 119 being Cross-Country sets)
The later sets had a 4-charachter box on the roof, and a destination box mounted on a wooden frame within the existing centre window (not in a drop-frame housing like class 110 later class 111 sets) and extra handrails below and between the front windows.  Setting aside variations in handrails, that cab front was applied to Classes 107, 115, 117, 118, 121 and 127 (with only the 107s- and 108's so fitted- being low-density). 

Most of the roof-mounted headcode boxes were later plated over but never removed*, although a few Class 107s and 127s retained the (rather dirty) glass to the end.  The 108s (in the north-west certainly) sometimes carried a blanking plate over the two character box below the windows before being plated flush.

The bow below the windows and the box in the roof dome were never carried on the same cab

You could likely use a lot of the work you've done to make a Class 114 "heavyweight" set which would go well with Lincolnshire- I think the side windows on 108s were lower than on the other classes though

* An exception being the later Class 111 Met-Cam sets so fitted (most of these later became the "Half-Motor" sets where it was plated flush, and a Class 110 set which lost it in fire damaged and ended up with a Class 104 "hat".
avatar
thehoviskid

Posts : 135
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 40
Location : Heysham

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by ap1991 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:06 am

thehoviskid wrote:
ap1991 wrote:To make the cab roof a little easier, I've decided to include the route headcode box, most of these were removed by BR during refurbishment, but a few survived...
Not quite...

The earlier ones has two markers and a two-charachter box below the centre window, and that's the variant you're modelling.  These had a simple destination box on the roof dome, the same cab as Classes 114, 116, 119, 122 and 125 (with 116 122 and 125 being high density sets, and 119 being Cross-Country sets)
The later sets had a 4-charachter box on the roof, and a destination box mounted on a wooden frame within the existing centre window (not in a drop-frame housing like class 110 later class 111 sets) and extra handrails below and between the front windows.  Setting aside variations in handrails, that cab front was applied to Classes 107, 115, 117, 118, 121 and 127 (with only the 107s- and 108's so fitted- being low-density). 

Most of the roof-mounted headcode boxes were later plated over but never removed*, although a few Class 107s and 127s retained the (rather dirty) glass to the end.  The 108s (in the north-west certainly) sometimes carried a blanking plate over the two character box below the windows before being plated flush.

The bow below the windows and the box in the roof dome were never carried on the same cab

You could likely use a lot of the work you've done to make a Class 114 "heavyweight" set which would go well with Lincolnshire- I think the side windows on 108s were lower than on the other classes though

* An exception being the later Class 111 Met-Cam sets so fitted (most of these later became the "Half-Motor" sets where it was plated flush, and a Class 110 set which lost it in fire damaged and ended up with a Class 104 "hat".

Really informative post, I've learnt a lot, thanks!

I didn't know about the two variants, I assumed bits had been removed/plated over during various refurbishments.

I've attached the referance photo I'm working from, it has the small destination box within the dome.



I wasn't happy with the flat front, so I've rebuilt it from scratch, the cab roof dome wasn't as difficult to build as I was expecting either!


Still got a bit of optimizing to do, the steps below the cab doors need adding and I need to add the destination display, but it's not far off being finished!

avatar
ap1991

Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-07-25
Age : 26
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by thehoviskid on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:55 am

ap1991 wrote:Really informative post, I've learnt a lot, thanks!

I didn't know about the two variants, I assumed bits had been removed/plated over during various refurbishments.
Ah, you're too young to remember them in the flesh!  Even back in the day, a lot of people didn't bother with them, they were just "bog carts".  Not sure but I think the later sets worked more in the Liverpool/Chester area.  Here's a pic (not mine) of the plated front on an earlier set- quite subtle from a distance, but also quite distinctive:


If you really want to lose a whole day or two, This site is brilliant: www.railcar.co.uk
avatar
thehoviskid

Posts : 135
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 40
Location : Heysham

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by ap1991 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Yep, I'm a bit too young to remember these on the mainline which is probably why I'm so fond of the Ecclesbourne Valley and their DMU fleet, if you have an interest in DMU's, the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Multiple Memories event is on in a few weeks and is always worth a visit! railcar.co.uk is excellent, I can easilly spend hours browsing...

The front end has been rebuilt, again, the headcode box has goone and it's finally at a point that I'm starting to feel really pleased with how it looks!

I've also modified the roof slightly so it looks a little more round, the TSL has the original roof profile so as you can see, it's only subtle but the modified roof profile IMO looks a far more realistic.



avatar
ap1991

Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-07-25
Age : 26
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by ap1991 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Well, just as I thought it was complete, I looked at the front end and decided I still wasn't totally happy with how it looks as it still looked quite flat, so I've rebuilt it, again...

It's looking more like the real thing every day!

I may be developing a slight OCD with this.  Looking at the screeenshot in my first post compared to the one attached to this post, you can see how far it's come!



avatar
ap1991

Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-07-25
Age : 26
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by ap1991 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:18 am

I should probably finish this..
avatar
ap1991

Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-07-25
Age : 26
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by graymac on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Try using "custom normals" on the edges Adam. You can make the joins look softer, like a rela curve rather than a "knife edge" crease! Look at the code for any of my dmus and you'll see how its done, and also see here, about 2/3rds of the way down the page:
http://railsimroutes.net/blog/?tag=screenshots&paged=4
avatar
graymac

Posts : 1745
Join date : 2011-08-28
Location : Co Mayo, Eire

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by ap1991 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:23 am

Cheers Gray, will have to have a look into that... Smile
avatar
ap1991

Posts : 115
Join date : 2014-07-25
Age : 26
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st Generation DMU

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum