openBVE feature requests

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: openBVE feature requests

Post by Delsin on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:39 am

I gotta test that, thanks!

I personally prefer "horn", but there should be "klaxon" supported for backwards compatibility. Also "PrimaryRelease" instead of "PrimaryEnd" so it's same as BVE5 standard to minimize confusion for developers if they work both with it and openBVE.
Have you specified any behaviour if there is a start and loop file, but no end? Some trains have only these two.
Delsin

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:25 am

Delsin wrote:I gotta test that, thanks!

I personally prefer "horn", but there should be "klaxon" supported for backwards compatibility. Also "PrimaryRelease" instead of "PrimaryEnd" so it's same as BVE5 standard to minimize confusion for developers if they work both with it and openBVE.
Have you specified any behaviour if there is a start and loop file, but no end? Some trains have only these two.

PrimaryRelease, SecondaryRelease and MusicRelease are now supported as alternate spellings Smile
(18th March build)

Exact Behavior:

Primary & Secondary:

• If no start or end files are present, the sound will play once.
  • If start or end files AND a loop file is present, the start/ end sound(s) will be played and the loop sound will loop.

Music:

• If no start or end files are present, the sound will play looped.
  • If start or end files AND a loop file is present, the start/ end sound(s) will be played and the loop sound will loop.

Note:
The behavior for primary & secondary files has now also been reverted to match the documentation.

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HijauKuda on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Sir Chris Lees
I did download and run test of your new version of 25 March 2017
and did not hear the errors of versions recent in the Sound.cfg [horn] primary and secondary and music
as they do operate corrected for me now.
This is good

Good day and night for you
Hijau

HijauKuda

Back to top Go down

Additional info down in the lower left

Post by edgreenberg on Sat May 20, 2017 5:55 pm

I can make the framerate and the train speed appear in the lower left, but I'd like to suggest that the current distance from 0, and the speed limit, would also be nice to have there.

Thanks,

Ed G

edgreenberg

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 on Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 pm

edgreenberg wrote:I can make the framerate and the train speed appear in the lower left, but I'd like to suggest that the current distance from 0, and the speed limit, would also be nice to have there.

Thanks,

Ed G

These can probably be added without too much trouble, will see what I can do.

Why did you want the current distance from zero though?
IIRC this is available in the F10 debug overlay, and if you just want to know the current train position, the map in the Route Information overlay might serve you better.

(When signalling gets 'done', the intention is to add another pane to the route information overlay containing the current signal aspect, speed limit etc, but signalling isn't top of my list at the minute....)

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by thehoviskid on Sat May 20, 2017 10:45 pm

leezer3 wrote:
edgreenberg wrote:I can make the framerate and the train speed appear in the lower left, but I'd like to suggest that the current distance from 0, and the speed limit, would also be nice to have there.

Thanks,

Ed G

If you were tinkering down that part of the screen anyway- does the speed need to be to two decimal places?  One at most, and possibly a whole number would suffice?
thehoviskid

Back to top Go down

Post by BillEWS on Sat May 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Fixed speed boards are part of your route knowledge and if any changes are made they have to appear in the Daily, Weekly and Monthly notices.

Temporary can appear or be taken away at almost any time but again they should be shown in the notices.  Set distances are set for the Warning boards, albeit this may be lengthened to suit the first sighting depending on the terrain. You should always get a warning board and know the distances involved and be able to work out your braking distance. At the moment there is no cab signaling to guide you on this but many locomotives have a train length gauge, which is typed into the computer when taking over a locomotive. You set the train length and as you approach the warning board set the train length to countdown. This lets you know when your tail end has cleared the termination board and start excellaration again.

without a countdown you simply know the check is there and knowing the route and your train, drive accordingly.

In bve it would be nice to have an exteral camera that follows the end of the train that you could use to see your train pass the termination board.

BillEWS

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/keng/kenhtml/GKHome.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Sun May 21, 2017 7:20 am

Mind that's UK an UK-style railways you describe. In central Europe, things are different. Every main signal and every restrictive (i.e. lower than before) speed signal has its distant signal standing before it. In some countries like in Germany, that's a fixed, route-specific distance (400m (≤60km/h routes), 700m, 1000m (most common) or 1200m), in others, like in Austria, it's slope-dependant and can vary quite a bit. Also you have your working timetable containing all permanent speeds, and the weekly "La" (list of all TSR and other noteworthy stuff like spots without GSM-R coverage) and the daily La corrections, all of which you are to lay open before you all the time. If using the electronic version on a screen, you have to stop immediately if it turns off. And TSR on short notice must be announced at least 48h in advance; if it's less time, every train is stopped before and gets a written order, until all are noticed/48h have passed since it was added to the La or La corrections.

Mind we have much more routes to know than you. My route knowledge is for roughly 1200km and that's still a really small bunch of routes, it'll be way more. You can't memorise that on the same detail level as is usual in the UK, where, afaik, 1000km is something you'd reach after years and years of driving.
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by edgreenberg on Sun May 21, 2017 10:44 am

leezer3 wrote:

Thanks,

Ed G

Why did you want the current distance from zero though?
IIRC this is available in the F10 debug overlay, and if you just want to know the current train position, the map in the Route Information overlay might serve you better.

(When signalling gets 'done', the intention is to add another pane to the route information overlay containing the current signal aspect, speed limit etc, but signalling isn't top of my list at the minute....)

OK, I found all the info I neeed in the debug overlay, so I'm happy and withdraw my request.   I wanted the distance so that, if I observed a bug while driving, I could note it down for either fixing, or for a bug report.

BillEWS wrote:Fixed speed boards are part of your route knowledge and if any changes are made they have to appear in the Daily, Weekly and Monthly notices.

Temporary can appear or be taken away at almost any time but again they should be shown in the notices.  Set distances are set for the Warning boards, albeit this may be lengthened to suit the first sighting depending on the terrain. You should always get a warning board and know the distances involved and be able to work out your braking distance. At the moment there is no cab signaling to guide you on this but many locomotives have a train length gauge, which is typed into the computer when taking over a locomotive. You set the train length and as you approach the warning board set the train length to countdown. This lets you know when your tail end has cleared the termination board and start excellaration again.

without a countdown you simply know the check is there and knowing the route and your train, drive accordingly.

Bill, what you say is correct.  All this info should be part of route knowledge, but remember that users of OpenBVE are not trained railroaders. Also, we run many more routes, on many more systems, with many more trains, than any pro railroader.  We also don't get trained on every route. 

Also, consider that the quality of the routes varies dramatically.  I've been driving along on one of the NYC Subway routes and hit a red without a preceding yellow. Or a series of Grade Time signals with no sign introducing them. Nobody trains us on these routes, as is done in real life.  IRL you go out with a trainer for several runs until you are either signed off as competent or fired Smile .  So we need all the help we can get.

BillEWS wrote:In bve it would be nice to have an exteral camera that follows the end of the train that you could use to see your train pass the termination board.

We do , actually, at least in OpenBVE. I set my free camera to point back from the last car, and I can see the back of the speed board when I pass it by, and I know that it's OK to speed up.

I've been doing a bit of work on one of the routes that I like, to add speed boards, speed warning boards, mileposts and some visual indication of where the stop points at the stations are. I was fortunate enough to find an employee timetable on line.  I do not think that I'll be able to release this work since the original builder has not responded to me for permission.

edgreenberg

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 on Sun May 21, 2017 10:54 pm

BillEWS wrote:In bve it would be nice to have an exteral camera that follows the end of the train that you could use to see your train pass the termination board.

Assuming you're using my builds, switch to external camera.
Then hit Previous POI to move the camera car down the train.
Next POI moves the camera car back up again.

(Numpad 7 and Numpad 1 by default)

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by thehoviskid on Sat May 27, 2017 12:03 am

When you unrestrict the cab view, could re-restricting it remember how you left it if you move to other camera positions and back again?
thehoviskid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum