True British Railway Enthusiast

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by lonelyinardwick on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:43 pm

I was thinking of this quiz thing about a week ago or two, that someone asks a question and the next reply is the answer.
In the same reply, someone asks another question. The only rule is, if you "research and return", that's called cheating.

(Update 11-11-11) The first reply with the correct answer receives an appreciation point. I want to be kind to others. santa

So.. anyone interested? Or shall I start it off.. (Which nameplate belongs to 390001?)


Last edited by Wongie2009 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

lonelyinardwick

Posts : 375
Join date : 2011-07-24

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by joeyfjj on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:55 pm

IIRC, 390 001 was called the Virgin Pioneer (I was just reading up about the proposed 140mph runs the other day Razz).

Which class of Sprinter were originally built as two-car units, but were then modified to one-car units?

joeyfjj

Posts : 265
Join date : 2011-07-30
Location : Singapore

http://joeyfoo.com

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by mrknowitall on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 pm

156?

avatar
mrknowitall

Posts : 711
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 25

http://www.bve-terminus.org/pioneertrains/

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by lonelyinardwick on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:39 am

joeyfjj wrote:Which class of Sprinter were originally built as two-car units, but were then modified to one-car units?
Class 153. I think they fitted the smaller cab ends too, that's probably why.

When were the Class 185s introduced to the First TransPennine Express services, and under which livery?

lonelyinardwick

Posts : 375
Join date : 2011-07-24

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by thehoviskid on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:00 pm

2006, and First Group "Barbie" livery, with the gold stripe (as on 180s as opposed to the white one on 175s)
avatar
thehoviskid

Posts : 134
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 39
Location : Heysham

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by lonelyinardwick on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:05 pm

thehoviskid wrote:2006, and First Group "Barbie" livery, with the gold stripe (as on 180s as opposed to the white one on 175s)
Correct! Now it's your turn to ask another question. Smile

lonelyinardwick

Posts : 375
Join date : 2011-07-24

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by thehoviskid on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:15 pm

Hmm, still trying to think of one.....

Why did some branch lines retain gas-lit stock, even after dieselisation, until replaced by DMUs (or closure and buses)?
avatar
thehoviskid

Posts : 134
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 39
Location : Heysham

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by lonelyinardwick on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:36 pm

thehoviskid wrote:Hmm, still trying to think of one.....

Why did some branch lines retain gas-lit stock, even after dieselisation, until replaced by DMUs (or closure and buses)?

For preservation, I guess.. Could you specify which branch line?

lonelyinardwick

Posts : 375
Join date : 2011-07-24

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by graymac on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Probably hoping to claim the insurance . . . .


On as serious note, I thought gas lighting was being discontinued after the Charfield disaster http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charfield_railway_disaster which, in 1929, was well before dieselisation so I'm surprised to hear any gas lit stock survived.that long ( You do not give dates ).
avatar
graymac

Posts : 1741
Join date : 2011-08-28
Location : Co Mayo, Eire

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by thehoviskid on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:21 pm

graymac wrote:Probably hoping to claim the insurance . . . .


On as serious note, I thought gas lighting was being discontinued after the Charfield disaster http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charfield_railway_disaster which, in 1929, was well before dieselisation so I'm surprised to hear any gas lit stock survived.that long ( You do not give dates ).

A few cases, one i know being the Padstow branch where you could see NBL Type 2 Hydraulics hauling them. The batteries on coaches were always charged by a dynamo belt-driven from one axle- no ETH/ETS in those days.
Some branches didn't provide enough of a run or a high enough speed to charge them, or so i read somewhere.
avatar
thehoviskid

Posts : 134
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 39
Location : Heysham

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by 92220 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:38 pm

thehoviskid wrote:The batteries on coaches were always charged by a dynamo belt-driven from one axle- no ETH/ETS in those days.
Some branches didn't provide enough of a run or a high enough speed to charge them, or so i read somewhere.

That's correct! The regulator cut the dynamo in and out at 13MPH, otherwise at low speed the batteries would start driving the dynamo like a motor, burning it out, and also turning the regulator contactors into copper oxide in the process.
avatar
92220

Posts : 283
Join date : 2011-10-09
Age : 66
Location : Buckinghamshire, England

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by lonelyinardwick on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:02 pm

Interesting! Now, anyone up for the next question? Smile

lonelyinardwick

Posts : 375
Join date : 2011-07-24

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by mrknowitall on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:27 pm

Who has a joint venture with northern rail beguinning with A
avatar
mrknowitall

Posts : 711
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 25

http://www.bve-terminus.org/pioneertrains/

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by lonelyinardwick on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:32 pm

mrknowitall wrote:Who has a joint venture with northern rail beguinning with A
Angel Trains, I think.. geek Took me a bit of a while 'til I thought of Jesus then eventually angels..

lonelyinardwick

Posts : 375
Join date : 2011-07-24

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by thehoviskid on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Arbeillio, or something like that (joint venture with Serco)

Not sure on the spelling because:
a) I didn't google it, and
b) The chance of a Northern unit actually being clean enough to read that part of the branding is quite remote......
avatar
thehoviskid

Posts : 134
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 39
Location : Heysham

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by mrknowitall on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:37 pm

correct. and belive it or not the 333's are very clean indeed! unlike their diesels
avatar
mrknowitall

Posts : 711
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 25

http://www.bve-terminus.org/pioneertrains/

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by lonelyinardwick on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Ahh.. I should admit I'm none of a "true" british railway enthusiast anyway. I've got some railway books and trainspot at my local station every one in a while. I need to change..

Embarassed

lonelyinardwick

Posts : 375
Join date : 2011-07-24

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by graymac on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Get a new anorak Very Happy Very Happy
avatar
graymac

Posts : 1741
Join date : 2011-08-28
Location : Co Mayo, Eire

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by thehoviskid on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:56 pm

graymac wrote:Get a new anorak Very Happy Very Happy

Anoraks are just so last century. It's huge camera bags now.....
avatar
thehoviskid

Posts : 134
Join date : 2011-07-09
Age : 39
Location : Heysham

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by joeyfjj on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Where's the next question? Razz

joeyfjj

Posts : 265
Join date : 2011-07-30
Location : Singapore

http://joeyfoo.com

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by graymac on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:45 pm

Here's the next question, then.
What brand of camera bag can take a whole Nikon outfit and still have room for a couple of cans of Guinness and a bag of chips and still pass a Brit security n*zi without the user getting arrested?
avatar
graymac

Posts : 1741
Join date : 2011-08-28
Location : Co Mayo, Eire

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by 92220 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:41 pm

graymac wrote:What brand of camera bag can take a whole Nikon outfit and still have room for a couple of cans of Guinness and a bag of chips and still pass a Brit security n*zi without the user getting arrested?

Such a bag would be useless because either the chips would make the Guinness hot and/or the Guinness would make the chips cold. Either is totally unacceptable unless you have already had plenty of cold Guinness already. lol!

For help getting bags past any security n*zi an assistant is required of the type described in what I am listening to now.
avatar
92220

Posts : 283
Join date : 2011-10-09
Age : 66
Location : Buckinghamshire, England

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by joeyfjj on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:20 am

92220 wrote:
graymac wrote:What brand of camera bag can take a whole Nikon outfit and still have room for a couple of cans of Guinness and a bag of chips and still pass a Brit security n*zi without the user getting arrested?

Such a bag would be useless because either the chips would make the Guinness hot and/or the Guinness would make the chips cold. Either is totally unacceptable unless you have already had plenty of cold Guinness already. lol!

For help getting bags past any security n*zi an assistant is required of the type described in what I am listening to now.

You are looking for something that is similar to this:


joeyfjj

Posts : 265
Join date : 2011-07-30
Location : Singapore

http://joeyfoo.com

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by 92220 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:42 am

I didn't know they still made Bubble Cars.
avatar
92220

Posts : 283
Join date : 2011-10-09
Age : 66
Location : Buckinghamshire, England

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by lonelyinardwick on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:05 am

Next Question - Which train journey is the most expensive in the whole of the British Isles and how much?


Last edited by Wongie2009 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I welcome aboard Graymac, see if he can offer any expensive fares in Ireland. :))

lonelyinardwick

Posts : 375
Join date : 2011-07-24

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: True British Railway Enthusiast

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum