openBVE Packages

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: openBVE Packages

Post by leezer3 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:32 pm

MattD6R wrote:With the white box problem I added the null file which sorted it out. However the bogies for the loco are missing with extra bogies following on the back of the train. With the fixed version I get the same problem with the bogies.

As with the content storage I have mine in a folder in the Openbve folder. For the user (especially new users) having it somewhere in the Openbve folder would be make it simple because the user should know where they installed Openbve.  Maybe some setting to set the location but of course the location has to be accessible to the program.

Can't reproduce that one, although I seem to have declared Bogie0 twice.....
Try deleting the first Bogie0 from the extensions.cfg and see if that helps Sad
Otherwise, try re-downloading both the train and the most recent build, as I've kicked both just on the off-chance....

(Train download now contains the missing file with a comment added to make it package, plus have removed the extra Bogie0 declaration)

Edit: On the content storage in the program folder
In a multi-user situation, there's actually a very good chance the the program folder will not be writable.
Similarly, later versions of Windows are becoming more and more locked down as to where you've got write privileges, and from where you can execute stuff from.

Storing stuff in the program folder *is not* recommended or good practice Smile
Possibly the installation folder should be a little more findable, but at the minute, it's in the Microsoft/ Linux recommended place.

Cheers

Chris Lees

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Last edited by leezer3 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:50 pm

I deleted the extra Bogie 0 without luck. Reinstalling the train and the most recent build also doesn't make any difference. Sad

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:58 pm

MattD6R wrote:I deleted the extra Bogie 0 without luck. Reinstalling the train and the most recent build also doesn't make any difference. Sad

Not sure at the minute, sorry......

Definitely not doing that at this end, and I can't think of anything that would cause that off the top of my head.

Are the loco bogies attached to the first coach?

Trying to figure out exactly what's happening, but drawing a blank at the minute.

Edit:
Tested the most recent version on a Mac and a Linux box, which appears perfectly.
Is this the Windows 10 machine?

Cheers

Chris Lees

Last edited by leezer3 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:09 pm

Don't worry, it's my fault. Smile It works fine on other routes but was using on my route which has a buffer at the first station which only gives space for a 150m train. The buffer is located 170m before the stop point for the longest train which must be interfering with the bogies. I have collision, derailments and toppling enabled which on this route shifts the train past the stop point to fit in front of the buffer. When I disabled those settings the bogies are displayed correctly.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Ah Smile

Any chance of a quick test routefile that displays the bug please?
Just one track and no objects of any description is fine.

I can't quite visualize exactly what you've done, but this is definitely a bug that needs fixing.

Cheers

Chris Lees

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:27 pm

I will get you a route tomorrow but what I have is..

Track distances:

400 sta command
415 buffer command and object
496 3 car stop position
570 6 car stop position

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Now I've found it Smile

Not sure exactly what's happening at the minute, but I can also get trains stuck on buffers if they start in collision with them.....
I strongly suspect this is likely to be an issue with any long trains, and probably with Michelle's last build too.

Going to work shortly, so may take me a day or two to fix.

Cheers

Chris Lees

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by LabRatAndy on Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:13 pm

leezer3 wrote:
Packages don't seam to be installed to the correct folder. They are installing to openBVE root folder where ever you have set openbve to find userdata not the userdata sub folder.
ie. C:\users\username\roaming\openbve\Legacy contrent
not
C:\users\username\roaming\openbve\userdata\Legacy contrent

I don't see a problem there?
If your userdata folder is set for example to C:\Games\openBVE\UserData\ I'm not quite sure why you'd want to create a separate UserData folder within this?
The C:\Users\Username folder is unique on a per-user basis.
The userdata sub folder wasn't inserted it was the opeBVE that was, as when I initally configured openBVE to work on my new laptop without needing to be run as administrator. I set up the filesystem.cfg file for route and train folders to be
Code:
initialtrain = $[ApplicationData]/openBVE/userData/legacy content/train
changing it from the default of
Code:
initialtrain = $[AssemblyFolder]/userData/legacy content/train
using openBVe to help me find the correct folder.
I have a sugestion for how to identify the correct folder to install packages to. Simply use the initialtrain and initialroute folder given in the filesystem.cfg file. The default for this is $[AssemblyFolder]/userData/........ and would put the files in the openBVE program folder's userData subfolder. This could also be changed for other configurations by the user, Although you would have to catch exceptions caused by the program not having write access to the given folder, but then again if openBVE starts it should already be able to, as if memory serves me correctly openBVE (at least older versions) crash if they can't.

LabRatAndy

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:39 pm

LabRatAndy wrote:
leezer3 wrote:
Packages don't seam to be installed to the correct folder. They are installing to openBVE root folder where ever you have set openbve to find userdata not the userdata sub folder.
ie. C:\users\username\roaming\openbve\Legacy contrent
not
C:\users\username\roaming\openbve\userdata\Legacy contrent

I don't see a problem there?
If your userdata folder is set for example to C:\Games\openBVE\UserData\ I'm not quite sure why you'd want to create a separate UserData folder within this?
The C:\Users\Username folder is unique on a per-user basis.
The userdata sub folder wasn't inserted it was the opeBVE that was, as when I initally configured openBVE to work on my new laptop without needing to be run as administrator. I set up the filesystem.cfg file for route and train folders to be
Code:
initialtrain = $[ApplicationData]/openBVE/userData/legacy content/train
changing it from the default of
Code:
initialtrain = $[AssemblyFolder]/userData/legacy content/train
using openBVe to help me find the correct folder.
I have a sugestion for how to identify the correct folder to install packages to. Simply use the initialtrain and initialroute folder given in the filesystem.cfg file. The default for this is $[AssemblyFolder]/userData/........ and would put the files in the openBVE program folder's userData subfolder. This could also be changed for other configurations by the user, Although you would have to catch exceptions caused by the program not having write access to the given folder, but then again if openBVE starts it should already be able to, as if memory serves me correctly openBVE (at least older versions) crash if they can't.

Still confused......
On a blank install (No filesystem.cfg present), the following folders will be used:
C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\openBVE\Legacy Content\Train
C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\openBVE\Legacy Content\Railway
C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\openBVE\Legacy Content\Other

Alternatively, custom folders may be set using the options (Click on the 'Next Page' button at the top)
These are saved in the filesystem.cfg , using the lines routepackageinstall , trainpackageinstall and otherpackageinstall

As I can't guarantee write permissions at the paths for initialroute and initialtrain it seems a bad idea to try and use those for package installation.

Your note on lack of access causing a crash was interesting:
I've found and fixed one case (The path resolution API would crash if attempting to enumerate a directory where access was denied), but I suspect there are likely to be more of these lurking in the background....

Will do some more playing around with permissions and see if I can't trigger anything else.
leezer3 wrote:Now I've found it Smile

Not sure exactly what's happening at the minute, but I can also get trains stuck on buffers if they start in collision with them.....
I strongly suspect this is likely to be an issue with any long trains, and probably with Michelle's last build too.

Going to work shortly, so may take me a day or two to fix.

Fixed.

This has necessitated one small adjustment:
If the player train is detected as being in collision with a set of buffers at the initial station, the stop position for this station will be moved so that the train starts 1m clear of the buffers. This **may** cause stop boards on affected routes to be misplaced, but I think it was worth the change Smile

This bug is also in Michelle's last build, so I'm hoping it's obscure enough that no-one has run into it before, and anyone that has, probably worked around it by removing the buffers Razz

It also means that if an oversized train is used on your route, it will correctly spill out of the platform, rather than colliding with it.

Final note:
I've also added this page describing errata that have been fixed that may affect the functionality of existing routes:
https://github.com/leezer3/OpenBVE/wiki/Errata

Cheers

Chris Lees

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:04 am

The bogies on the Western now displays when I have toppling etc enabled. However the rear bogie extends behind the last carriage and thorough the buffer. If I reverse thorough the buffer the back of the carriages collides with the buffer and doesn't travel any further. But the rear bogie that extends beyond the back of the train and through the buffer continues to slow move backwards through and past the buffer. This happens to all the bogies of the train while the train doesn't move.

In the past when I have occasionally used a train too long for the first station it had shifted the train further forward with the back of the train at the position of the buffer. And then I was able to drive the train out of the station without issues. It has only been the bogies of your western train that has been a problem going through and behind the buffer but I still can drive the train out of the station.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:45 pm

MattD6R wrote:The bogies on the Western now displays when I have toppling etc enabled. However the rear bogie extends behind the last carriage and thorough the buffer. If I reverse thorough the buffer the back of the carriages collides with the buffer and doesn't travel any further. But the rear bogie that extends beyond the back of the train and through the buffer continues to slow move backwards through and past the buffer. This happens to all the bogies of the train while the train doesn't move.

In the past when I have occasionally used a train too long for the first station it had shifted the train further forward with the back of the train at the position of the buffer. And then I was able to drive the train out of the station without issues. It has only been the bogies of your western train that has been a problem going through and behind the buffer but I still can drive the train out of the station.

OK, should now be fixed- When implementing bogies, I'd neglected to check them for bufferstop collision.
I think the Western is the *only* train posted anywhere using the new bogies method Smile

Some further notes on trains too long for stations:
From a little further testing, it appears that a train will be moved, *if* the move keeps it within the stop tolerance for the station.
This station will cause most trains over 5 cars to get stuck if collision is enabled without the patch I added previously, on both 1.4.3.0 and earlier builds from me:
Code:
    .Back(0)
    .Sta(Station A; 10.0000; D; ; -1; 1; ATC)
    .Buffer
    .Stop(1)

The openBVE HST from BVE4Trains is a good candidate for testing if you're interested.

Cheers

Chris Lees

leezer3

Back to top Go down

Post by MattD6R on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:02 pm

The Western works fine now with it now entirely in the front of the buffer.

I see what you mean how the train can get stuck which I am was able to get with 1.4.3. This was with using the HST on my route but removing the second stop position so that is only a 80m space (rather than 150m) between the buffer and the stop position. As a result it did get stuck and I was unable to move the train.

MattD6R

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:34 pm

Matt, I moved your question to a new topic. I'd also like to ask all of you to stay on topic and open new threads for new topics. Chris, since you're a moderator as well and also wrote on both topics at hand (packages; train length > track length) into the same posts, I didn't want to fiddle with splitting those; but I'd like to ask you to open a new thread if there is more to be discussed about it. Thank you all Smile It'll help keep everything legible, especially if someone decides to check back on those things in the future.

Note: Orange means I write as a moderator and staff team, as opposed to black which is my personal and private opinion only.

Quork

Location : Frankfurt am Main (Frankfurt on Main), Hessen (Hesse), European Union (Deutschland (Germany))

http://www.parkbahnschmiden.de/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:31 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum