Creating for OpenBVE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Creating for OpenBVE

Post by Tstageman on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi folks,

I have just turned my attention back to the world of OpenBVE after a while away, needless to say I was a little shocked at how the community has changed since my absence as it were, however I have downloaded all I can find and gathered together a few routes and trains to use on Open.

I once had a crack before at route building but never got anywhere. I followed I believe one of Dennis Lance(?)'s tutorials and none of it seemed to make any sense to me as I didn't get a working route at the end of it. Now I'm not saying the tutorial was confusing or rubbish or anything as it would seem that everyone advises a newbie to start with them and they did seem to be very comprehensive, I think it was just my mind that couldn't work it out!! However, now I am back into the game, I would love to be able to start creating, whether it be routes, trains or buildings, I'd love to get cracking, so any pointers as to where to start and what would be my best option given that I didn't get very far last time, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
Tstageman

Back to top Go down

Re: Creating for OpenBVE

Post by Dexter on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi Tom,

if you want to begin with something less difficult, I would maybe start with objects, as there are less commands and the outcome can be viewed immediately in the object viewer. Take a look at these (in the bottom) guides created by Graymac, I guess it is explained in a simple and straightforward way. And don't take the name of the guides too seriously, it is just Graymac's style of humor.
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tstageman on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Derryck,

Many thanks for that link, I didn't realise these were available. I have downloaded them both and will have a go at them and see what I come up with!

How easy are train externals compared with buildings? Fairly easy to create or a bit more in depth?

Tom
Tstageman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:53 pm

I guess you should thank to Graymac. Very Happy Train external is more complicated in my opinion, since it is something that user will most probably view in detail. Buildings (houses etc.) usually consist of fewer faces and textures...
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by graymac on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Train externals use the same skills you need to master in order to make buildings or any other item. Some elements are more demanding, you ideally need to be confident with multi-faced meshes with rather more complex co-ordinates to produce the finest work. But it is possible to make quite reasonable simpler exteriors as you learn and progress.
The harder bit with trains, in my opinion, is the cab view and DAT file configuration.
You will get there if you persevere. It may be difficult in parts, but it isn't mpossible. Good luck.
graymac

http://www.celtictrainsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tstageman on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks for all your replies folks. I have a night shift to look forward to tonight so I will get my head into these tutorials and see what I can come up with! I'd love to be able to start creating for Open as I said before, I was seriously inspired by the Hammersmith and City line to Kings Cross, the most awesome route I've ever seen for Open! Would be brilliant if it was the whole line as I find myself constantly driving the existing bit over and over again!!

Tom
Tstageman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tstageman on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Ok, here is my first slight snag. I have downloaded OpenBVE Object viewer and installed correctly however I find I am having an issue saving the first .b3d file as a .b3d. Wordpad only saves it as a .txt file. I clicked file, save as, and then where the drop down box is I changed it to read 'all files' and it keeps saving it as a .txt file. Any ideas? Other than that so far so good!!

Tom

Scratch that last post, I've managed to save it as .b3d now.

Tstageman

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:18 pm

go to this site

www.bve4trainz.co.uk

there will be a "new to building bve trains?" click that.

it will give you three links

A .csv, .b3d & .animated. it give you a breif description of each file but a very informal description of the animated ( im gathering the owner of that site knows his animated files very well ;D)

each link offers a clear file type at the bottom which you can download. with nothing inside the file. meaning you can start from scratch.

when you downloaded the .csv and .b3d files ALWAYS right click and open with notepad. and then once edited ALWAYS save from file > save NOT SAVE AS! and then if you really need to select notepad for default to open both .csv and .b3d. this as got to be woth a thankyou!

Ben
mrknowitall

http://www.bve-terminus.org/pioneertrains/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tstageman on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:39 pm

I have gone through the first couple of tutorials and I have to admit that it all makes perfect sense (didn't think it could possibly be this easy!) All the shapes I attempted to make following the tutorial were spot on.

However...first one that I attempt on my own didn't come out quite as I thought it might. What I was aiming to build was two cuboid shapes at right angles to one another. Like an L shape building with potentially a roof on if that makes sense. Here are the set of coordinates I used:

[meshbuilder]
vertex -30,0,0
vertex -30,10,0
vertex -20,0,-3
vertex -20,10,-3
vertex 0,0,2
vertex 0,10,2
vertex 20,0,-3
vertex 20,10,-3
vertex 30,0,0
vertex 30,10,0
face 0,1,3,2
face 2,3,5,4
face 4,5,7,6
face 6,7,9,8
color 120,120,120

But it doesn't come up as being at 90 degrees to one another. Where abouts have I gone wrong? I realise its somewhere in my maths rather than in the actual building.

Tom

And again scratch this, I have worked this out too. It being the Z values at fault, and my miscalculation. I really will stop posting before thinking, apologies.
Tstageman

Back to top Go down

Post by mrknowitall on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:44 pm

did my post help? or did i waste my time and effort for no thanks ?
mrknowitall

http://www.bve-terminus.org/pioneertrains/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tstageman on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:15 pm

I havent actually looked at that site yet, as I am steadily working my way through the tutorial I have in hand. I also had my browser on this page and didn't notice you'd replied...besides I've sorted out how to save in a .b3d format now anyways but yes, THANK YOU for your reply.

Tom
Tstageman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tstageman on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Well after spending the evening creating many objects last night, I managed to come up with one that was worth showing, albeit with a texture on it that was borrowed from the NWM object file...

(Wasn't sure on the rules for the size of photos allowed so please do discard if this is too big and I'll reupload it!)

I know its similar to some of the NWM buildings but also inspired me was the buildings on Colchester station which is my local! Oh now to learn how to put them into a route...!

Tom
Tstageman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum