Help with first time travelling.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help with first time travelling.

Post by lonelyinardwick on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:28 am

Hi all, how are you guys doing? This summer holiday, I'm going on my first solo holiday travelling from Manchester to Arad, Romania via Budapest, Hungary. I will leave England at around 3pm on 14th July 2014 and arriving at Budapest Liszt Ferenc Airport at around 10 to 7 o'clock in the evening. I will be returning to England on the 27th July 2014, departing Budapest at 8:35pm.

I chose Budapest Airport since it is cheapest and nearest to Romania, but the problem is I am little confused trying to connect from Budapest Liszt Ferenc Airport, Hungary to Arad Central Station, Romania. I will need another 2 hours to be cleared through immigration, and then taking the 200E bus to somewhere. Whilst I understand I will have to go from Budapest-Keleti Railway Station or make a connection at Szolnok Station, but I need to know the best way to buy a train ticket for this journey.

The outward train journey from Budapest to Arad will take 4 hours and 12 minutes riding the EN347 departing Budapest-Keleti at 11:30pm, whilst the return journey will take 4 hours and 30 minutes riding the EN472 and arriving into Budapest-Keleti at 8:50am. So far, I enquired to Ffestiniog Travel (a DB Bahn agent) who quoted me with £44.82 including all tickets, reservations, cover charge and postage, and sitting in a 6-bed couchette just for the outward journey. But to honest, I'm more than happy to pay for a space on the train rather than having to pay such a high price.

This is where I would like to ask my European friends, if they can help me find a cheaper ticket and whether I should buy the ticket online or at the train station. Thank you and have a great weekend, wongie2009.

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Re: Help with first time travelling.

Post by Greater Anglia Metro on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:09 am

Try booking through DB themselves, or if in London go to Voyages SNCF in Piccadilly Circus, the latter charge an £8 booking fee but as a result do more to find you the best fare.
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by Quork on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:41 pm

45 Pounds sounds like a reasonable price for that connection... However, from what I have heard in Eastern Europe it is better to buy tickets at the station directly and not prebook. I've read a journey report lately - one person, Frankfurt/Main -> Istanbul for roughly 200€ (one direction). Frankfurt-Vienna was prebooked, the rest not. So doesn't seem to be a bad idea, might save you one pound or another...

EDIT

Oh and you might want to take a look here http://www.raildude.com/en/
Quork

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyinardwick on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks your responses, I was hoping to ask Dexter in particular whether he has anything to say on this. Anyways, Ffestiniog Travel has come back to me quoting £64.80 including all tickets, reservations, cover charge and postage from Budapest to Arad and back. I also enquired to MAV-Start, CFR, and DB for information and pricing. If I cannot find the best ticket through booking, then I will buy a ticket at the Budapest-Keleti Station.

lonelyinardwick

https://about.me/lonelyinardwick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum